This Week On ‘Global Currents’…
“The Stamp Fishery: Loss of a Dream”
Saturday, October 28th at 7 p.m. ET/PT (60 mins.)
The Stamp Fishery: Loss of a Dream takes a critical look at the ailing fishing industry in Newfoundland and Labrador and how communities are left dependent on employment insurance (EI) due to generations of over-fishing and government enforced quotas. Through the eyes of two reluctant “stamp fishers” – whose family have fished the shores for nearly 100 years – the Johnson brothers take viewers on a journey of revelations, examining how this EI policy has impacted all sectors of the province’s economy, leaving more than half of its population dependent on Canadian taxpayers’ money.
About ‘GLOBAL CURRENTS’: Global National’s Kevin Newman hosts this critically acclaimed documentary series committed to revealing extraordinary perspectives and issues affecting all Canadians. Each one-hour, independently-produced documentary represents the talents of Canada’s best socio-political, environmental, humanist and scientific documentary filmmakers.
Other documentaries in the series include:
* Somba K’e – The Money Place – November 4
* DecAIDS: Anything is Possible – November 11
* 100 Days of Freedom – November 18*
* Damage Done: The Drug War Odyssey – December 9*
* The Diaries of Friedrich Kellner – December 16* (new)
* New date
Broadcast schedules are subject to change.
Latest posts by Diane Wild (see all)
- Exhibitionists exposes arts programming to CBC - October 9, 2016
- The age of abundant consultation - October 5, 2016
- Chris Haddock finds the heart of The Romeo Section for Season 2 - October 5, 2016