From Bill Brioux of the Canadian Press:
- CBC movie The Phantoms revisits aftermath of fatal high school van crash
The film never shows the accident, in which the wife of a coach also died. It’s all about what came next for the surviving players, teachers and others. Improbably, the Bathurst High Phantoms rebounded in 2009 to win the New Brunswick provincial high school varsity basketball title. Read more.
From Karissa Donkin of the Toronto Star:
- The Phantoms movie: Bathurst, N.B. moms criticize basketball movie for exploiting sons’ deaths
Marcella Kelly doesn’t read newspapers or listen to the radio much these days. When she goes out in the small city of Bathurst, in northern New Brunswick, she does only what she needs to do and comes home again. Tuning out is how she gets through living what has become her nightmare. Kelly lost her 15-year-old son Nikki in a bus crash that’s the basis for a new movie showing Sunday at 8 p.m. on CBC called The Phantoms. Read more.
- Phantoms movie captures ‘courage’ of Bathurst
People in Bathurst are awaiting the release of a new television movie that chronicles how the Bathurst High School basketball team’s 2009 championship season helped heal a grieving city. Read more.
From Reuben Villagracia of the Chronicle Journal:
- Telling the Phantoms story
Alex Robichaud is confident the producers of a CBC movie based on a tragedy that he was involved in will be handled with care when it premieres this weekend. The first-year Lakehead Thunderwolves guard was a prominent member of the Bathurst, N.B., Phantoms high school senior boys basketball team that helped a town heal from its grief following a road accident in January 2008. Read more.
Diane is the founder of TV, eh? She loves books, movies, TV, science, space, traveling, theatre, art, cats, and drinking multiple beverages at the same time.
Latest posts by Diane Wild (see all)
- Rick Mercer ponders what’s next - September 20, 2016
- Link: Oh goody, Real Housewives is coming to Toronto - June 10, 2016
- Link: Orphan Black gears up for an explosive finale - June 10, 2016