From Alex Strachan of Postmedia News:
- Canadian Screen Awards: New, but not improved
A’ for effort, ‘C’ for results. The Canadian Screen Awards nominations, revealed Tuesday in Toronto, are meant to reflect the best in Canadian film and TV, and mark the first time the Genie movie awards and Gemini TV awards have been brought under the same umbrella. Read more.
From Scott Stinson of the National Post:
- Canadian Screen Awards: Canada’s Golden Globes, they are not — yet
There is much to recommend about the decision to create the Canadian Screen Awards out of the marriage of the Genies (for film) and Geminis (for TV). No longer will two unloved awards ceremonies be stuck at opposite ends of the calendar, for one, and the combined heft of the two industries should lend the March 3 proceedings a dose of star power. But sifting through the nominations for the inaugural Screenies, as we’re calling them informally since, well, we can, there’s an unfortunate wake aspect to the television side of things. As in a funeral wake. Read more.
From Bill Brioux of TV Feeds My Family:
- Screenies offers fresh start for statue collectors
Was asked to weigh in on the new Canadian Screen Awards Tuesday night on The National. Eli Glasner wisely edited out my crack that I thought the old awards were called the Geminis because only two people watched. Read more.
Diane is the founder of TV, eh? She loves books, movies, TV, science, space, traveling, theatre, art, cats, and drinking multiple beverages at the same time.
Latest posts by Diane Wild (see all)
- Link: Welcoming the rise of brash dudes on food TV - March 27, 2015
- Link: Trailer Park Boys say Netflix owes them liquor - March 27, 2015
- Carver Kings premieres April 5 - March 26, 2015