Competing on a show like MasterChef Canada is an exercise in skill and humility. You may be excellent at what you do, but if you show up your competitors too much or—even worse—the judges, you will get burned for it.
Such was the situation Michael and Cody found themselves in on Sunday night.
Michael, who has never shown a lack of confidence in anything he’s done, was once again slapped down by Michael, Alvin and Claudio for his pretentious plating during the Elimination Challenge. Roasting three vegetables, creating a cylinder of truffle mashed potatoes and grilling a hunk of lamb and placing them on a long white plate may have looked cool, but it made him a target. Claudio especially took umbrage with Michael’s plating and ripped him for salty potatoes.
Cody, meanwhile, one-upped Michael in his douchebaggery by nullifying his Mystery Box win and participating in the Elimination Challenge. Why? Because he really wanted to cook with Season 1 winner Eric Chong’s favourite ingredient: truffles. Clearly riding an adrenaline high, Cody’s decision to compete was a slap in the face to the judges who had given him the win. Dude, if the judges tell you you’re safe and to go to the gallery … YOU GO TO THE GALLERY. Instead, Cody tried too hard to impress everyone and was on the verge of going home.
Thankfully for he and Michael, Kevin once again crashed an burned with an insipid-looking egg and asparagus dish that had a smattering of truffle on it. Kevin, the chef who included puff pastry wrapper in one recent recipe, was shown the door.
Next week, team captains David and Sabrina lead their teams to the University of Guelph where they’ll make poutine for a bunch of students.
Notes and quotes
- I would have made a pizza with caramelized onions, roasted garlic, brie, smoked gouda and proscuitto on it.
- When did Cody injure/burn himself? I either missed it or it happened off-camera.
- “Essence of unicorn… angel tears…” — Jennifer mocking Cody
- “They seem like they’re just overpriced little turds.” Quote of the night from Kwasi
- “That’s like me … yellow magic.” Um, what, Alvin?
MasterChef Canada airs Sundays at 7 p.m. ET on CTV; the show is pre-empted for the JUNOS this coming Sunday.
Latest posts by Greg David (see all)
- Little Dog: Patricia Isaac discusses Dr. Vaani’s “sweet and honest” relationship with Tommy - March 21, 2018
- Detention Adventure brings action, adventure, science and fun to young viewers - March 21, 2018
- Murdoch Mysteries: Showrunner Peter Mitchell, writer Mary Pedersen and Hélène Joy tease Season 12 - March 19, 2018