After weeks of competition, countless dishes, tough challenges and buckets of tears, MasterChef Canada crowned a Season 2 winner: concrete worker David Jorge edged out Line Pelletier to take the title, trophy and $100,000 grand prize.
“I am the best home cook in Canada and no one can take that away from me,” David said moments after he was named winner, sharing the good news (and more than a few tears) with his wife, mother and two sons. He plans to use his windfall to start his own restaurant.
“I’m not going to give up because there is always another road to the finish line,” Line said after her close defeat. The finale was incredibly tight and I have to admit it did look like Line was going to snag the crown. Not only do cooking competitions tend to reward competitors who evolve week to week like she did, but her underdog story certainly made her one of the show’s sweethearts.
But nothing could stop David, whose culinary skills led him to numerous weekly wins and a spot at the top of the show almost every week.
In an interesting twist to what the pair did week to week, David opted for more rustic adaptations for his appetizer, main and dessert while Line went more high-class, proving she could compete with her counterpart. David’s early gaffe, leaving membrane on his sweetbreads, was erased by a stellar pork and seafood entree and layered lemon dessert. Line started off strong with a surf and turf app followed by an elk and potato main that landed a little left of the mark with judges Claudio Aprile, Alvin Leung and Michael Bonacini. I thought her dessert of a cheese plate was a little simplistic, though its multiple ingredients wowed the judging trio.
Unlike some cooking shows where one or more undeserving competitors squeak into the finale, I was pleased David and Line made it. Both definitely earned the right to be there and came off as giving, caring people who were respected by their fellow competitors.
Notes and quotes
- Guys, is the making a heart with your fingers still a thing?
- I really wish the editing for this episode had allowed us to see Line make those cool curled crackers for her appetizer.
- When Claudio is freaking out over time, like he was with David during the dessert round, you know you’re in trouble.
What did you think of this season of MasterChef Canada? Comment below or on Twitter via @tv_eh.
Latest posts by Greg David (see all)
- Link: ‘Frontier’ creators say ‘Game of Thrones’-style chaos coming - October 18, 2017
- TV Eh B Cs podcast 71 — Where the Puckrin Is Going to Be - October 18, 2017
- Bell Media to Acquire Séries+ and Historia - October 18, 2017