Almost every week of this season, I’ve remarked at how difficult The Amazing Race Canada challenges have been. It’s made for some pretty compelling footage, but after this week and last I have to wonder: did the producers make things too hard?
For the second week in a row—this time in Saskatoon—more than one team chose to take penalties rather than stick with the challenge at hand. And in the case of Neil and Kristin, it meant they were eliminated. I may make a similar decision in the heat of the moment—after frustration or thirst has set in—but from the safety of my couch I’d rather keep going rather than rely on other teams to stumble along the way.
One need only look as far as Ope and Simi for proof of that. Rather than team up with the other pairs at the airport to work out the 25-hour flight formula, they figured it out themselves. Rather than get frustrated with each other, they played cheerleader. The result? They came in second-to-last place and continue, proving to the other Racers that they’re a team to contend with.
Meanwhile, birthday boy Brent and his brother Sean celebrated the big day with a first-place spot. The siblings smartly played their Express Pass to skip the flight-time challenge and dry-heaved their way to the mat in front of Jon Montgomery. This was Brent and Sean’s first-ever top spot, though not for lack of trying. They gamely soldier on, scoring consistent Top 5 finishes.
As for Gino and Jesse, the Race‘s strongest duo to date blew through this Leg’s tests with flying colours and placed second to Brent and Sean.
Here’s how the teams finished this Leg:
- Brent and Sean (used the Express Pass)
- Gino and Jesse
- Dujean and Leilani (penalty)
- Brian and Cynthia
- Nick and Matt
- Simi and Ope
- Neil and Kristin (penalty, eliminated)
Notes and quotes
- “I gotta take off my shoes to count past 10.” — Brian
- I wanted to hear more of Ope’s story about wanting to be a pilot.
- Cynthia and Brian’s plan to have more fun sure backfired, didn’t it?
The Amazing Race Canada airs Wednesdays at 9 p.m. ET/PT on CTV.
Latest posts by Greg David (see all)
- Photo gallery: First look at Season 10 of Murdoch Mysteries - September 24, 2016
- Canadian Kris Holden-Ried joins Season 5 of History’s Vikings - September 23, 2016
- Link: Tatiana Maslany is Exhibit A in the case against CRTC’s new content rules - September 23, 2016