From a media release:
BREAKING NEWS: The Comedy Network Announces the Planet’s Most Important Satirical News Series, THE BEAVERTON
- Based on the popular website TheBeaverton.com, Comedy to begin production on new half-hour satirical series this summer
- TheBeaverton.com teams up with Comedy to deliver digital exclusive content
- Anchored by Canadian comedians Emma Hunter and Miguel Rivas, THE BEAVERTON is slated to begin production this summer
At last. News on television. The Comedy Network announced today the incredibly important new television program THE BEAVERTON, an incredibly important satirical news series with deep importance to citizens living in the country with the most water in the world. A so-called televised “adaptation” of the immensely popular online satirical site TheBeaverton.com, THE BEAVERTON guarantees to provide Canadians with the news they didn’t even ask for. The new half-hour series, produced by Pier 21 Films in association with The Comedy Network, is scheduled to begin production in front of a live studio audience in Toronto this summer and will be available in 4K.
Helmed by co-anchors Emma Hunter (MATCH GAME, JFL: ALL ACCESS) and Miguel Rivas (acclaimed sketch troupes Tony Ho, Get Some), and a rotating cast of correspondents featuring some of Canada’s top comedians, THE BEAVERTON files fake, but incredibly important stories informed by real events, the cultural zeitgeist, and national news media.
The new partnership with TheBeaverton.com and The Comedy Network will fuel a consistently refreshed digital experience to coincide and reflect the series, featuring exclusive digital-only content in the form of podcasts, videos, and written articles.
With more than 6 million views in 2015, TheBeaverton.com has become a go-to source for Canadian satire. Already known for its shareable content online, TheBeaverton.com has broken some of the decade’s most viral “news stories”, including:
- “Most Canadians can’t name all nine provinces”
- “PK Subban fined for swearing only in English”
- “Closing of local Tim Hortons finally convinces residents their town is horrible”
- “Police dog suspended after profiling several cats”
THE BEAVERTON is the brainchild of co-creators Luke Gordon Field and Jeff Detsky (CALL ME FITZ, SEED) of TheBeaverton.com, as well as website senior editors Jacob Duarte Spiel and Alexander Saxton. Pier 21 Film’s Laszlo Barna and Melissa Williamson serve as Executive Producers.
THE BEAVERTON is produced by Pier 21 Films, in association with The Comedy Network, with the participation of Canadian Media Fund, and the Canadian Film or Video Production Tax Credit. Sarah Fowlie is Director, Independent Production, Comedy, Bell Media. Executive for Bell Media is Bill Lundy. Corrie Coe is Senior Vice-President, Independent Production, Bell Media. Tracey Pearce is Senior Vice-President, Specialty and Pay, Bell Media. Randy Lennox is President, Entertainment Production and Broadcasting, Bell Media.
Latest posts by Diane Wild (see all)
- Myth or Science: The Secrets of our Senses comes to The Nature of Things - January 18, 2017
- Link: Women behind Canadian TV: Helen Shaver - January 18, 2017
- Mary Kills People premieres January 25 on Global - January 18, 2017