From Arti Patel of The Huffington Post:
Top 10 Fictional Canadians We All Love
We’re always proud of our Ryan Goslings and Tatiana Maslanys of the world, but what about the fictional Canadians who love to play to (and also are the opposite of) our stereotypes? Continue reading.
From Laura Beeston of The Globe and Mail:
CBC gets creative with new online shows
Niche programming tends to do well online. In addition to its slapstick 1990s revival show Body Buds and gendered gags on Womanish, Punchline recently released Riftworld: Chronicles, a fantasy/sci-fi comedy based in Toronto. The eight webisodes range from four to seven minutes each and will be available online all at once for our binge-watching pleasure. Continue reading.
From Audra Williams of The A.V. Club:
30-year-old home movie shows SCTV crew was better at comedy than softball
One overcast day in 1982, a ragtag crew of nerds gathered to play what was clearly the greatest game of softball in all history: SCTV cast versus SCTV crew. Found by John Candy’s widow, the delightfully named Rose Candy, the Super 8mm footage is a highlights reel of a game played in Edmonton City Park by comedy geniuses Catherine O’Hara, John Candy, Rick Moranis, Eugene Levy, Joe Flaherty, and Dave Thomas. Continue reading.
From a media release:
Bell Media’s CraveTV to Go Direct to Consumers on January 1
- All Canadians with access to the Internet can soon enjoy CraveTV’s premium TV programming, including HBO and SHOWTIME content
Bell Media announced today that its premium TV streaming service CraveTVTM will become available direct to consumers on January 1, 2016. Today’s announcement means that the breadth and depth of premium, quality television programming available exclusively on CraveTV will soon also be offered to all Canadians with access to the Internet. More details will follow in the months ahead.
CraveTV is currently available to subscribers of a long list of participating television providers, including Bell, Eastlink, and Telus, via set-top box, mobile apps, the web, Apple TV, Chromecast, and Microsoft Windows 8, and will soon be available via game consoles and Smart TVs.
From TV’s most-acclaimed dramas and beloved comedies to documentaries, music, and factual programming, CraveTV features thousands of hours of premium TV programming, representing hundreds of unique titles.
CraveTV provides viewers with the largest collection of premium content in one place, with programming in three categories – exclusive past-season content, featuring back seasons of television’s biggest programs currently on air; an extensive and exclusive library, featuring complete catalogues of some of the best TV series that have ever aired; and original series never before seen in Canada. CraveTV features more than 20 curated collections across multiple genres, boasting more than 25,000 episodes from nearly 1,300 titles, including:
- the entire off-air library of HBO’s iconic programming catalogue, including THE SOPRANOS, THE WIRE, and SEX AND THE CITY, as well as the HBO Films catalogue and HBO stand-up comedy specials;
- hundreds of hours of acclaimed SHOWTIME series and specials, such as THE AFFAIR, RAY DONOVAN, PENNY DREADFUL, HOMELAND, UNITED STATES OF TARA, WEEDS, and NURSE JACKIE;
- an unmatchable comedy slate headlined by CraveTV exclusives SEINFELD and SOUTH PARK, and also including THE BIG BANG THEORY, CHEERS, FRASIER, and CORNER GAS;
- an exclusive Monty Python catalogue featuring every single episode of MONTY PYTHON’S FLYING CIRCUS;
- first-run CraveTV exclusives, including MANHATTAN, BOSCH, and DEADBEAT and SHOWTIME’s HAPPYISH;
- the most-watched and most-acclaimed original Canadian primetime scripted programming, featuring SAVING HOPE, MOTIVE, 19-2, FLASHPOINT, and DEGRASSI;
- a Superhero collection headlined by some of the most-watched television programs currently on air, including MARVEL’s AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D., ARROW and, later in 2015, THE FLASH;
- a Sci-Fi & Fantasy collection led by genre blockbusters ORPHAN BLACK and DOCTOR WHO, and featuring all six series comprising the complete STAR TREK TV collection;
- an iconic Music Collection featuring TV programming expressly dedicated to music and its legends, including the upcoming FOO FIGHTERS: SONIC HIGHWAYS and CLASSIC ALBUMS; and
- CraveTV Original Series like the upcoming comedy LETTERKENNY
From Eric Volmers of the Calgary Herald:
Beyond Erica: Erin Karpluk’s career enters new dimension with Riftworld web series
Erin Karpluk is honest when explaining how producers landed both her and co-star Tahmoh Penikett for the CBC sci-fi comedy web series, The Riftworld Chronicles.
In fact, she admits her producers wish she wasn’t so honest. Continue reading.