From a media release:
Let the Losing Begin: X-Weighted finds 13 new stories in Toronto, Calgary and Winnipeg
Thirteen new weight-loss journeys begin this week in Toronto, Calgary and Winnipeg for participants who have signed up for the third season of Slice’s hit television series X-Weighted. The dramatic struggle between the participants’ weight and their dreams are being captured on camera between June 28, 2007 and January 26, 2008 for broadcast in Spring 2008.
While Season III filming gets underway, so does the premiere broadcast of Season II, starting Thursday, July 5 at 8 p.m. ET/PT (Check local listings). The season kicks off with the story of Toronto party girl Valencia who, slapped in the face by her overweight father’s stroke, realizes she’s killing herself with obesity. Determined not to leave her two teenage boys without a parent, Valencia commits to reform.
Created by Edmonton’s Gemini-award winning Anaid Productions (Taking It Off, Family Restaurant, The Rig), X-Weighted tells the naked truth about weight loss, recording the gut-wrenching inner and outer journeys of the participants, each of whom is featured in a one-hour documentary that witnesses the schemes and dreams that turn into gritty realities and inspiring breakthroughs that characterize the drama of weight loss. The program focuses on the underlying causes and on-going triggers for excess weight as these frank and feisty people grapple with their personal flaws, emotional baggage and suppressed conflicts.
X-Weighted includes guidance served up by experts in fitness, nutrition and self-esteem. No-nonsense fitness expert Paul Plakas advises, cajoles and harangues participants on exercise and nutrition, and Fred Connors, a self esteem expert, provides self-confidence support as he challenges participants to see themselves in a new light.
“We went through an exhaustive search in four cities, including Victoria, to discover the most inspiring stories we could find,” says Executive Producer Margaret Mardirossian of Anaid Productions. “These courageous individuals are embarking on a transformational journey over the next six months that will change many lives – we can’t wait to cheer them on in their ambitious goals.”
Shedding pounds in Toronto:
- Two joined-at-the-hip sisters from Zimbabwe who are living the immigrant dream in a new country where excess is the norm.
- A stay-at-home new dad hell bent on regaining the athletic prowess he had before a threatening medical issue sideswiped his life.
- A beer-drinking ‘one of the guys’ manager of a maintenance crew who’s eaten her way out of the dating game.
Weighing-in from Calgary:
- A young mother of three who wants to be her husband’s ‘trophy wife’ again.
- A sugar-addicted chiropractor determined to regain her bikini-hot size two body and be the pinnacle of the ‘good health’ she preaches to clients.
- A new mother by day – roller derby queen by night who wants to be femininely beautiful while busting heads on the rink.
- An extreme care-giver and defender of the down-trodden whose splitting headaches and eating habits leave her feeling that she will burst at the seams.
- A country-rock singer whose band is about to take off – but she can no longer keep up with their high energy show.
And in Winnipeg meet:
- A mother still reeling from the sudden loss of her son two years ago who joins forces with her teen daughter to lose weight and gain a deeper bond.
- Two sisters who set out to slim down and show their skeptical husbands they have what it takes to change their fast food lifestyle.
- An engaged teacher, whose humor deflects an explosive mix of emotions as a result of being the fat guy in the room.
- Next-door neighbour stay-at-home moms with opposite personalities, who tackle ‘baby fat’ while juggling the needs of their young families.
- A mom who feeds the kids in her home daycare with nutritious meals while she eats emotionally to deal with her brother’s recent sudden death.
Latest posts by Diane Wild (see all)
- The legacy of Denis McGrath - March 24, 2017
- Crash Gallery returns for a colourful, chaotic second season - February 5, 2017
- Myth or Science: The Secrets of our Senses comes to The Nature of Things - January 18, 2017