From a CTV media release:
- Canada’s Number 1 comedy touted as “One of the Season’s Best Shows” in America
- Brent Butt to throw out first pitch at Cubs vs. Pirates game in Chicago this weekend
The denizens of Dog River, Saskatchewan just got a whole lot more famous. Corner Gas invaded television screens across the United States this week after the series premiered Monday night on Superstation WGN, which reaches more than 70 million US homes. Early reviews of Corner Gas, which airs weeknights following Scrubs on WGN, have been overwhelmingly positive with American critics drawing parallels between Corner Gas and classic comedies such as Northern Exposure and Seinfeld. The acclaims comes just days before Corner Gas makes its fifth season premiere in Canada on Monday, Sept. 24 at 9:30 p.m. ET following Dancing with the Stars on CTV.
Here is what some of the American media has to say about Canada’s favourite comedy series:
- “One of the new season’s best shows…the humour is slow, sly and quite wonderful.”
– Gannett News Service (America’s largest newspaper publisher with 85 dailies including USA Today and the Detroit Free Press)
- “The funniest show coming to television this fall season is not The Big Bang Theory or Chuck or Reaper… No, the knock-down winner is an obscure little show from Canada called Corner Gas.”
– McLatchy News Service (Third largest newspaper publisher in the US with 31 daily newspapers including the Miami Herald and Sacramento Bee)
- “The fall’s best, least objectionable comedy series is the Canadian import Corner Gas.”
– Pittsburgh Post Gazette
- “Brent Butt and Gabrielle Miller are featured in this Canadian comedy that some critics are saying is the funniest thing they’ve seen this year.”
– Kansas City Star
- “You really ought to sample Corner Gas, a delightful Canadian comedy.”
– San Jose Mercury News
- “Corner Gas is the kind of show that could easily make me an addict.”
- “Quirky, polished humor”
– The Times-Picayune (New Orleans)
To help launch Corner Gas in the U.S., star Brent Butt will visit Chicago this coming Sunday to throw out the first pitch at Wrigley Field for the Chicago Cubs vs. Pittsburgh Pirates game. Superstation WGN is also celebrating the premiere of Corner Gas with a free gas giveaway. Winners of an online contest at wgnsuperstation.trb.com will be awarded 10 grand prizes of a year’s supply of free fuel.
Season 5 of Corner Gas premieres on CTV Monday, September 24 at 9:30 p.m. ET following Dancing With The Stars. Corner Gas will also air Saturdays at 8 p.m. ET/PT beginning Sept. 29 on The Comedy Network and on demand on The CTV Broadband Network at CTV.ca. Earlier this week, Season 4 of Corner Gas was released on DVD. The fourth season of the series was recently nominated for a record six Gemini Awards.