From a media release:
- Nationwide auditions for singers begin this May in Halifax
- Auditions open to all Canadians aged 15 and under
- Winner takes home a recording contract
- The Next Star website goes live today at www.YTV.com
Do you know a kid who has star power? Corus Entertainment’s YTV and Tricon Films & Television are pleased to announce a cross-country six-city casting call for talented singers for the new YTV original series, The Next Star scheduled to launch Friday, July 18 at 6 p.m.
Unlike other talent reality series in Canada, The Next Star will be open to competitors aged 15 and under (as of May 2008). From the casting call auditions, six contestants will be chosen to go through The Next Star process, a series of assignments to determine if they are ready to be a star.
In each themed episode, all six contestants will be given an exercise. Whether the endeavour be a vocal challenge, mastering a media interview or nailing down a signature look, the question will be: who can master all facets of being a true star? The prize – a recording contract.
“This show focuses on mentorship – it’s not an elimination show,” said
Executive Producer Andrea Gorfolova. “We are gathering up the nation’s best recording industry pros to help train these young hopefuls. We want to give them every chance in the world to succeed in the music industry and are truly rooting for their success.”
“We are very excited to be giving Canadian kids the opportunity to showcase their talent and to have a shot at stardom,” said Jocelyn Hamilton, Vice President, Content, Corus Kids Television. “We know that many kids out there have talent, but what we want to find is someone who can handle all that comes with being a star.”
YTV also announces today the creation of The Next Star website. Hopeful contestants and fans can visit the official website at www.YTV.com for more information on the audition process, rules and regulations.
Once the series has launched in July, the website will be centre stage for audience interaction, streaming video and the voting process. Viewers will be encouraged to visit their favourite contestant’s microsite where they will find blogs, songs, video clips and where they can vote for The Next Star.
Auditions will take place in the following cities:
- Halifax, Saturday, May 17 at the World Trade and Convention Centre
- Montreal, Wednesday, May 21 at Palais des Congrès
- Toronto, Saturday, May 24 – location TBD
- Winnipeg, Saturday, May 31 at the Winnipeg Convention Centre
- Vancouver, Tuesday, June 3 – location TBD
- Calgary, Friday, June 6 at the Radisson Hotel Calgary Airport
Announcements will be made in the coming weeks regarding the show’s host and the judging panel.
Latest posts by Diane Wild (see all)
- The legacy of Denis McGrath - March 24, 2017
- Crash Gallery returns for a colourful, chaotic second season - February 5, 2017
- Myth or Science: The Secrets of our Senses comes to The Nature of Things - January 18, 2017