“MARIA SCHOOL” SENDS HOPEFULS TO THE HILLS IN HOW DO YOU SOLVE A PROBLEM LIKE MARIA?
Top-20 candidates perform for Andrew Lloyd Webber in London, England
More than half the candidates vying for the hottest role in show business were sent home tonight on CBC Television’s HOW DO YOU SOLVE A PROBLEM LIKE MARIA? The 48 would-be Marias have been whittled down to 20 after being pushed to their limits at “Maria School” in Toronto-all competing for the role of Maria von Trapp.
The top-20 candidates are:
- Jayme Armstrong (25) Richmond, B.C.
- Dana Barathy (26) New York, NY
- Michelle Boone (24) Langley, B.C.
- Stacey Cabaj (22) Edmonton, Alta.
- Tamara Fifield (21) Truro, N.S.
- Allie Hughes (22) Toronto, Ont.
- Julia Juhas (26) Mississauga, Ont.
- Alison Jutzi (29) Guelph, Ont.
- Katie Kerr (19) Windsor, Ont.
- Donna LaJeunesse (23) Bowmanville, Ont.
- Elicia MacKenzie (22) Vancouver, B.C.
- Marisa McIntyre (25) Kitchener Waterloo, Ont.
- Leslie Muir (26) Moncton, N.B.
- Janna Polzin (24) Woodstock, Ont.
- Andrea Pressburger (28) Burlington, Ont.
- Amy Rivard (33) Windsor, Ont.
- Janel Snider (24) Cochrane, Alta.
- Kyla Tingley (24) Dartmouth, N.S.
- Samantha Walkes (19) Hamilton, Ont.
- Jennifer Walls (23) Renfrew, Ont.
In tomorrow’s episode (June 16), the 20 remaining candidates head to London, England to perform a private concert at the prestigious London Palladium in front of the iconic Lord Lloyd Webber, his guests and the expert panelists Simon Lee, Elaine Overholt and John Barrowman.
With so many unique personalities and talents to choose from, Andrew Lloyd Webber and the panelists have the difficult task of narrowing the list down to10. Which girls have the dedication, passion and spirit to bring Maria alive? The success of Andrew Lloyd Webber, David Ian and David Mirvish’s stage production of The Sound of Music is hanging on the selection of the ideal Maria.
Photo courtesy CBC: Producer Andrew Lloyd Webber is flanked by panelists John Barrowman, Elaine Overholt and Simon Lee.