From a media release:
THE MOVIE NETWORK AND MOVIE CENTRAL BUILD THE PILLARS OF THE EARTH, AN EIGHT-HOUR ORIGINAL MINISERIES BASED ON KEN FOLLETT’S BESTSELLING MASTERPIECE
- New Canadian original series will premiere on The Movie Network and Movie Central on Friday, July 23 at 9 p.m. ET / PT
- A stellar ensemble cast includes Ian McShane, Donald Sutherland, Rufus Sewell, Matthew Macfadyen, Hayley Atwell, Eddie Redmayne, Gordon Pinsent and Alison Pill
On Friday, July 23 at 9 p.m. ET/PT, Astral Media’s The Movie Network (Eastern Canada) and Corus Entertainment’s Movie Central (Western Canada) debut The Pillars of the Earth, day and date with the U.S. premiere on STARZ. A Canadian original miniseries based on the bestselling novel by Ken Follett, this epic, eight-hour television event tells the fictional tale of the rising of a magnificent cathedral in Kingsbridge, England.
â€œI am extremely happy with the series The Pillars of the Earth â€“ script, direction, cast are everything I dreamed it could be. I’m delighted that it will be shown in Canada on The Movie Network and Movie Central,â€ says world-renowned author Ken Follett.
An official German/Canadian co-production, the US$40 million series is produced by Tandem Communications (The Company) and Muse Entertainment (Durham County) in association with Ridley Scott and Tony Scott’s Scott Free Films (The Good Wife), Astral Media’s The Movie Network, Corus Entertainment’s Movie Central and CBC Television.
Set against a backdrop of war, religious conflict, power struggles and human drama, Follett weaves love-stories and clashes between heroes and villains to masterfully depict the political turmoil of 12th century England. Executive produced by Ridley Scott, Tony Scott, Rola Bauer, Michael Prupas, David W. Zucker, Tim Halkin, Jonas Bauer and David Rosemont and directed by three-time DGA Award-winning Sergio Mimica-Gezzan (Heroes, Into the West), The Pillars of the Earth features Hollywood legends and breakout performances by up-and-coming stars.
The stellar ensemble cast includes Ian McShane (Deadwood, Sexy Beast), Donald Sutherland (Human Trafficking, Dirty Sexy Money), Rufus Sewell (The Illusionist, A Knight’s Tale), Matthew Macfadyen (Ridley Scott’s Robin Hood, Pride and Prejudice), Hayley Atwell (up-coming Marvel Comics’ Captain America, The Duchess), Eddie Redmayne (The Yellow Handkerchief, The Good Shepherd), Gordon Pinsent (Away From Her) and Alison Pill (Milk). The miniseries was shot on location in Budapest and Austria using Mid-Atlantic Films.
Canadian Broadcast Details (all times ET/PT)
- The first two episodes of The Pillars of the Earth will debut as a two-hour special on Friday, July 23 at 9 p.m., day-and-date with Starz in the U.S.
- On Monday, July 26, the two-hour special will repeat at 9 p.m., the miniseries’ regular timeslot
- For the following four weeks, new one-hour episodes will premiere Monday nights at 9 p.m.
- The miniseries will conclude with a special two-hour finale on Monday, August 30 at 9 p.m.
The Pillars of the Earth is a high-definition production that will be simulcast on The Movie Network and Movie Central’s High Definition channels. All new episodes will be available on demand and on The Movie Network OnLine following the network premieres.
Latest posts by Diane Wild (see all)
- The legacy of Denis McGrath - Mar 24, 2017
- Crash Gallery returns for a colourful, chaotic second season - Feb 5, 2017
- Myth or Science: The Secrets of our Senses comes to The Nature of Things - Jan 18, 2017