From a media release:
RICK MERCER TO HOST THE 2014 SCOTIABANK GILLER PRIZE GALA
- The 2014 Scotiabank Giller Prize will be broadcast on CBC Television at 9 p.m. (10 p.m. AT / 10:30 NT) on Monday, November 10, 2014
CBC has announced that Rick Mercer will host the 2014 SCOTIABANK GILLER PRIZE gala on Monday, November 10, 2014. Mercer will join presenters Kim Coates, Jessica ParÃ© and Naomi Klein on stage to celebrate the finest works in Canadian fiction for the year.
The shortlist is:
- The Betrayers by David Bezmozgis
- Tell by Frances Itani
- Us Conductors by Sean Michaels
- The Girl Who Was Saturday Night by Heather Oâ€™Neill
- All My Puny Sorrows by Miriam Toews
- The Ever After of Ashwin Rao by Padma Viswanathan
The SCOTIABANK GILLER PRIZE gala will be broadcast at 9 p.m. (10 p.m. AT /10:30 NT) on CBC Television from the Ritz-Carlton in downtown Toronto. It will also be live-streamed on CBC Books with a concurrent live chat, enabling Canadians across the country to be part of the Giller experience. With the finalists being celebrated and an author awarded the prize that night, the presenters will join the authors onstage to celebrate the yearâ€™s biggest achievements in Canadian arts and letters. An appearance on Q the following morning will be the first national broadcast feature interview for this yearâ€™s winner.
The six authors on this yearâ€™s shortlist were selected by a distinguished jury made up of some of the finest writers in North America and the UK: Canadian author Shauna Singh Baldwin, British novelist Justin Cartwright and American writer Francine Prose.