From a media release:
– Seven-part international co-production shot in Canada, England, and Croatia –
– Eddie Marsan and Bertie Carvel star as magicians in 19th century England –
Following the fantastical and dark adventures of two magicians in 19th century England, JONATHAN STRANGE & MR NORRELL, the new seven-part adaptation of the bestselling novel by Susanna Clarke, debuts Sunday, July 5 at 8 p.m. ET on The Movie Network with a special two-episode premiere. Subsequent one-hour episodes premiere Sunday nights at 8 p.m. ET. Shot in Canada, England, and Croatia, the miniseries is a Canada/U.K. co-production produced in partnership with BBC One, BBC America, and Bell Media.
Set in 1806 during the Napoleonic Wars in England when centuries have passed since practical magic faded into the nation’s past, one magician remains: the reclusive and skillful Mr Norrell (Eddie Marsan, RAY DONOVAN). His displays of magic soon thrill the nation when he raises the beautiful Lady Pole (Alice Englert, Ginger & Rosa) from the dead and summons an army of ghostly ships to terrify the French.
Soon Norrell is challenged by the emergence of another magician: the brilliant novice Jonathan Strange (Bertie Carvel, RESTLESS). Young, handsome, and daring, Strange is the antithesis of Norrell. As a dangerous battle ensues between the two great men, their obsessions and secret experimenting with the dark arts causes more trouble than they can imagine.
The miniseries has been adapted from Susanna Clarke’s bestselling novel by Peter Harness (DOCTOR WHO). Director is Toby Haynes (DOCTOR WHO) and producer is Nick Hirschkorn (Five Children and It).
JONATHAN STRANGE & MR NORRELL is produced by Cuba Pictures Limited in association with Feel Films for BBC, and co-produced with BBC America in association with Attraction Images for Bell Media, Far Moor Productions Ltd, and Screen Yorkshire.
Latest posts by Greg David (see all)
- Link: Writer Shelley Scarrow on how she grounded Wynonna Earp’s Jolene in real life stories - August 21, 2018
- Additional casting confirmed as Muse, Back Alley and Cineflix start production on CBC original drama Coroner - August 20, 2018
- Link: Wynonna Earp: Zoie Palmer discusses the most challenging moments for Jolene - August 18, 2018