From a media release:
CBC-TV’s winter programming lineup is filled with returning hit comedies, dramas and current affairs programs, as well as new titles filled with intrigue, suspense, and heart-warming moments.
New additions to the CBC prime-time lineup include the critically acclaimed drama JEKYLL AND HYDE, premiering Jan. 11; the emotional real-life stories of HELLO GOODBYE, premiering Jan. 8; and suspenseful three-part mystery MIDWINTER OF THE SPIRIT, premiering Jan. 6.
The acclaimed comedy hit SCHITT’S CREEK is among a group of shows returning with new episodes, as well as World War II spy thriller X COMPANY, and comedy staple MR. D. Ongoing CBC prime-time series are back with all-new episodes for winter 2016, including MURDOCH MYSTERIES, HEARTLAND, RICK MERCER REPORT, THIS HOUR HAS 22 MINUTES, DRAGONS’ DEN, THE NATURE OF THINGS, FIRSTHAND, MARKETPLACE, THE FIFTH ESTATE, and on CBC News Network, THE PASSIONATE EYE.
New for winter 2016:
- JEKYLL AND HYDE – Mondays 9 p.m. (9:30 p.m. NT) beginning Jan. 11
It’s 1930s London and Robert Jekyll (Tom Bateman) is a naive, sensitive young man finding his place in the world and moving away from the protection of his loving foster parents. As he begins to feel himself coming under the power of a darkness he cannot control, he realizes that all this time his parents were protecting him from his true self. Jekyll has inherited the curse of his grandfather, and when angered or in danger, he undertakes a graphic and twisted transformation to become Hyde, a shadowy, brooding figure of incredible strength and agility; confident and fearless. As he tries to discover his past and search for a cure, Robert Jekyll is drawn deep into Hyde’s world of monstrous creatures and freaks of nature.
- HELLO GOODBYE – Fridays at 8:30 p.m. (9 p.m. NT) beginning Jan. 8 (Encore broadcasts air Sundays at 8pm (8:30 NT))
HELLO GOODBYE draws out touching stories from people in Canada’s busiest airport: Toronto Pearson International Airport. Hosted by Dale Curd, the series shines a spotlight on the themes of love, family, friendships, immigration, grief, and joy. It presents a window into our most emotional moments.
- MIDWINTER OF THE SPIRIT – Wednesdays at 9 p.m. (9:30 p.m. NT) beginning Jan. 6
Outspoken, intelligent, and down-to-earth, single mother Merrily Watkins (Anna Maxwell-Martin) is not what you’d expect to see upon hearing the words “Church of England priest”. However, her Bishop has total faith in her, so much so he’s offered Merrily the position of an Exorcist – plunging her into a dark and dangerous world in this crime drama with a supernatural twist. Deeply human in her doubts and scepticis, Merrily reluctantly agrees to assist when police discover a body crucified in the woods. But as Merrily and her family are drawn further into the mystery, she must summon all her strength to fight the evil she uncovers amid a web of murder, abuse, power and lies. MIDWINTER OF THE SPIRIT is based on the novel by Phil Rickman and adapted by BAFTA- winning screenwriter Stephen Volk.
Returning to CBC-TV’s prime-time lineup in winter 2016:
- HEARTLAND – Sundays at 7 p.m. (7:30 p.m. NT); Returns with new episodes Jan. 10
- MURDOCH MYSTERIES – Mondays at 8 p.m. (8:30 p.m. NT); Returns with new episodes Jan. 11
- RICK MERCER REPORT – Tuesdays at 8 p.m. (8:30 p.m. NT); Returns with new episodes Jan. 5
- 22 MINUTES – Tuesdays at 8:30 p.m. (9 p.m. NT); Returns with new episodes Jan. 5
- SCHITT’S CREEK – Tuesdays at 9 p.m. (9:30 p.m. NT); Season 2 premieres Jan. 12 with back-to-back episodes
- MR. D – Tuesdays at 9:30 p.m. (10 p.m. NT); Season 5 premieres Jan. 19
- DRAGONS’ DEN – Wednesdays at 8 p.m. (8:30 p.m. NT); Returns with new episodes Jan. 6, beginning with the Second Chance Special
- X COMPANY – Wednesdays at 9 p.m. (9:30 p.m. NT); Season 2 premieres Jan. 27
- THE NATURE OF THINGS – Thursdays at 8 p.m. (8:30 p.m. NT); Returns with new episodes Jan. 7
- FIRSTHAND – Thursdays at 9 p.m. (9:30 p.m. NT); Returns with new episodes Jan. 14
- MARKETPLACE – Fridays at 8 p.m. (8:30 p.m. NT); Returns with new episodes Jan. 8
- THE FIFTH ESTATE – Fridays at 9 p.m. (9:30 p.m. NT); Returns with new episodes Jan. 8
Returning to the News Network lineup in winter 2016:
- THE PASSIONATE EYE – Sundays at 10 p.m. (10:30 p.m. NT); Returns with new episodes Jan. 17 on CBC News Network