From a media release:
IT’S ‘FRY OR BE FRIED’ IN FOOD NETWORK CANADA’S DONUT SHOWDOWN
- Donut Pros Face Off for $10,000 Prize in Each Episode
- New Canadian Original Series Premieres April 2, 2013 at 10pm ET/PT
Food Network Canada brings viewers eye-popping, out-of-this-world donuts like they’ve never seen before in a competitively entertaining brand new Canadian original series. The battle is on in Donut Showdown as professional donut makers from across North America take the iconic fried dough delicacy to new heights, dishing out their wackiest creations in hopes of devouring the competition and taking home a whopping $10,000 grand prize at the end of every episode. Donut Showdown premieres Tuesday, April 2 at 10pm ET/PT exclusively on Food Network Canada.
Hosted by international food television sensation Danny Boome (The Chew, Recipe Rehab), Donut Showdown brings an expert panel of judges to the diner kitchen to decide which fried treats will make the cut and which ones will cause the judges’ eyes to ‘glaze’ over. David Rocco (David Rocco’s Amalfi Getaway) leads the charge as head judge, joined by fellow esteemed judges culinary expert Maggie McKeown (Recipe to Riches) and popular Toronto restaurateur Zane Caplansky (Caplansky’s Delicatessen).
In each episode of Donut Showdown, the battle begins with three colourful competitors tasked with creating a batch of donuts using three bizarre and unusual secret ingredients. The judges will get a taste of each offering, critiquing each donut on taste, presentation and creativity. The competitor with the weakest donut will be sent home, and the remaining two competitors must go head-to-head in a final battle to make a large batch of donuts based on a theme chosen by the judges. At the end of each episode just one competitor will taste victory, leaving with a sweet $10,000 prize.
Donut Showdown features 42 fiercely competitive donut pros from across North America, with 12 hailing from across Canada including:
· Barb Aiello, Grandad’s Coffee & Donuts in Dundas, ON
· Kristen Boates, Rodney’s By Bay/John & Sons Oyster House in Toronto, ON
· Rachelle Cadwell, Dough By Rachelle in Toronto, ON
· Michelle Edgar, Sweet Escape Patisserie in Toronto, ON
· Amanda Hamer, Barque Smokehouse in Toronto, ON
· Isabelle Loiacono, J’Adore Cakes Co. in Woodbridge, ON
· Rajesh “Rags” Narine, Cartem’s Donuterie in Vancouver, BC
· Rachel Pellet, Emma’s Country Kitchen in Toronto, ON
· Grant Rummel, Chez Boris in Montreal, QC
· Trista Sheen, Crush Wine Bar in Toronto, ON
· Grayson Sherman, Jelly Modern in Calgary, AB
· Josie Weitzenbauer, Leche Desserts Inc. in Montreal, QC
Latest posts by Diane Wild (see all)
- The legacy of Denis McGrath - March 24, 2017
- Crash Gallery returns for a colourful, chaotic second season - February 5, 2017
- Myth or Science: The Secrets of our Senses comes to The Nature of Things - January 18, 2017