From a media release:
It’s Comedy Night in Canada as Comedy Now! and Comedy Inc. Return June 16 on CTV
- 10th Anniversary Season of Comedy Now! and Multiple Award-Winning Comedy Inc. Settle in for Summer Laughs
It’s a double-bill of Saturday night hilarity as two original comedies return to CTV with all-new seasons beginning Saturday, June 16. The milestone, 10th anniversary season of the star-making stand-up series Comedy Now! and fourth season of the multi-award winning sketch series Comedy Inc. will air back-to-back on Saturday nights from 10 to 11 p.m. on CTV (visit CTV.ca to confirm local broadcast times). The new seasons of both series will also air on The Comedy Network.
“Whether stand-up or sketch, Canadians are leaders when it comes to comedy and Comedy Now! and Comedy Inc. are proof,” said Susanne Boyce, CTV President of Programming and Chair of the CTV Media Group. “Both of these programs demonstrate the wealth of talent in Canada?s comedic community.”
After nine seasons, nearly 100 hours of original stand-up comedy and over 120 comics later, Comedy Now! celebrates its milestone 10th anniversary season as Canada?s reigning pre-eminent stage for homegrown comedic talent. For the past ten years, Comedy Now! has helped pave the way for numerous Canadian writer/comedians such as Brent Butt, Roman Danylo, Nikki Payne, Shaun Majumder, Se?n Cullen, Daryn Jones, Jay Malone and Jenn Robertson, to name a few. Stadium headliner Russell Peters was thrust into the stratosphere after elements of his Comedy Now! episode appeared online. A calling card for comedic success, an impressive 88 Comedy Now! alumni have either appeared or starred in numerous film and television roles. The series has also amassed an impressive 18 international awards and several Performance Geminis (see below for a list of past Comedy Now! alumni).
This season, Comedy Now! returns with a brand-new lineup of all-Canadian laughs, featuring the hilarious stylings of Lachlan Patterson, Sugar Sammy, Erica Sigurdson, Wafik Nasralla, Toby Hargrave, Mike Beatty, Mark Forward, Trevor Boris, Jason John Whitehead, Gavin Stephens, Dylan Mandlsohn, Terry McGurrin and Kenny Robinson. The 13-part, half-hour, uncensored series also premieres Sunday, June 24 at 10 p.m. ET/PT on The Comedy Network.
Comedy Now! Alumni
A complete list of performers from Seasons 1-10 is available at ctvmedia.ca.
- Season 1 (1997): Brent Butt (Corner Gas), Brigitte Gall (Me, My House and I)
- Season 2 (1998): Roman Danylo (Comedy Inc.), Shaun Majumder (24), Se?n Cullen (The Se?n Cullen Show), Elvira Kurt (Popcultured)
- Season 3 (1999): Harland Williams (Meet the Robinsons), Gavin Crawford (The Gavin Crawford Show), Terry McGurrin (Comedy Inc.)
- Season 4 (2000): Fraser Young (Video on Trial)
- Season 5 (2001): Gavin Stephens (Comedy Inc.), Gerry Dee (Trailer Park Boys: The Movie), Ron Josol (Video on Trial), Jenn Robertson (Comedy Inc.)
- Season 6 (2002): Nikki Payne (Comedy Inc.), Winston Spear (Comedy Inc.)
- Season 7 (2003): Daryn Jones (Buzz, MTV Live), Gilson Lubin (MTV Live), Laurie Elliot (The Naughty Show), Russell Peters
- Season 8 (2004): Debra DiGiovanni (Video on Trial), Ian Sirota (Comedy Inc.)
- Season 9 (2005): Jon Dore (Canadian Idol)
Comedy Now! is produced by Hi Guys Ten Productions in association with CTV and The Comedy Network, with the participation of the Canadian Television Fund created by the Government of Canada and the Canadian cable industry.
Comedy Inc. returns for a fourth season of edgy, inventive sketch comedy bristling with socio-political satire and uninhibited physical comedy. The series recently won the prestigious Gold Medal Award for Best TV Variety Program at the 2007 New York Festivals for the third year in a row and the Gold Remi award at the 2007 Worldfest-Houston International Film & Video Festival. This season, 13 all-new, half-hour episodes showcase outrageous parodies such as Survivor World Leaders Edition, David Caruso’s School of Acting and the never before seen auditions for Harry Potter. The series also features an eclectic mix of off-the-wall characters including past favourites WFTO (Woofto) TV news anchor Ken Shawn and his unpredictable weather girl Nikki Payne, George W. Bush and Late Night?s Fatima. New characters this season include The Two Vikings, The Asshole Whisperer and The Monkey Sister.
The nine-member ensemble cast stars comedian/writer Roman Danylo (Comedy Now!) and co-stars Second City alumni Aurora Browne (The Gavin Crawford Show) and Jen Goodhue (Comedy Now!), comedians Terry McGurrin (Gutter Ball Alley), Jenn Robertson (To Die For), Winston Spear (Comedy Now!), Gavin Stephens (Comedy Now!), Albert Howell (Improv Heaven & Hell), Ian Sirota (It’s Alive!) and a wealth of talent from the Canadian comedy community. Comedy Inc. also premieres Monday, June 18 at 10:30 p.m. ET/PT on The Comedy Network.
Latest posts by Diane Wild (see all)
- The legacy of Denis McGrath - March 24, 2017
- Crash Gallery returns for a colourful, chaotic second season - February 5, 2017
- Myth or Science: The Secrets of our Senses comes to The Nature of Things - January 18, 2017