From a media release:
Canwest salutes achievements in Canadian Television as Official Broadcaster of the 23rd Annual Gemini Awards
- Jason Priestley set to host the most illustrious night in Canadian Television
- Gemini Awards to air on E!, Everything Entertainment and Showcase on November 28, 2008
With non-stop red carpet reporting, comprehensive ceremony coverage and exclusive interviews with TV’s hottest Canadian actors, Canwest is set to bring everything Geminis to viewers as the official broadcaster of the 23rd Annual Gemini Awards Broadcast Gala. Canwest will be home to the most extensive multi-channel coverage when the awards take place in Toronto on Friday, November 28th, airing on both E!, Canada’s ultimate destination for everything entertainment and Showcase at 8 p.m. ET/PT. Both channels will also air an exclusive red carpet pre-show, capturing the stars as they arrive for the big night, at 7:30pm ET / PT.
This year’s ceremony will be hosted by Director, Producer and Actor Jason Priestley. A veteran of stage and screen, Priestley continues to be one of the most versatile and celebrated talents in Hollywood both in front of and behind the camera.
“There is no greater occasion to support the best and brightest in Canadian Television than at the Gemini Awards and Canwest is proud to be this year’s official broadcaster,” says Christine Shipton SVP, Drama and Factual Content, Canwest Broadcasting. “It’s always a pleasure working with the Academy and we couldn’t be happier to have Jason Priestley on this year’s team to help celebrate the fantastic accomplishments of our homegrown talent.”
“As our official broadcast partner, Canwest has brought a great deal of energy and enthusiasm to the Gemini Awards,” says Sara Morton, CEO of the Academy of Canadian Cinema & Television. “We’re delighted Jason Priestley is hosting this year and by the high calibre of our presenters and nominees, who truly reflect the excellence that can be found in the Canadian television industry.”
Details of actors set to present at this year’s Gemini Awards will roll out in the coming weeks. However Canwest confirms that 90210 star and current “it” girl Shenae Grimes, Rent-A-Goalie hunk and Gemini Award nominee Christopher Bolton and Canadian beauty Natasha Henstridge will all be taking the stage as presenters.
Canwest’s coverage of Gemini Awards includes:
Viewers will have the opportunity to catch up on all their Gemini-nominated favourites when E!, Everything Entertainment dedicates the evening of Saturday, November 22 to honouring some of the Canwest programs up for an award this year. Beginning at 8 p.m. ET/PT, the evening will feature a jam-packed line-up of viewer hits including; X-Weighted, Rent-A-Goalie, Billable Hours, Kenny vs. Spenny and Cock’d Gunns.
To kick off the Gemini Awards evening, Canwest will produce the ultimate Glitz, Glamour, Geminis: On The Red Carpet. Hosted by E! News Weekend Hosts Arisa Cox and Jason Ruta, the coverage begins at 7:30 p.m. ET/PT on both E! and Showcase. Nominees, presenters and VIP’s will boogie down the carpet when ET Canada’s very own Roz Weston plays celebrity disco DJ. The show will also feature running fashion commentary from ET Canada style maven Rosey Edeh and the ultimate fashionista Derek Friday, star of the hit Slice series, Mr. Friday.
Canwest will take advantage of both conventional and specialty platforms when both E!, Everything Entertainment and Showcase air the Gemini Awards Broadcast Gala on November 28 beginning at 8 p.m. ET/PT. As the home of Everything Entertainment, E! is synonymous with first-rate entertainment coverage and offers unparalleled access to the stars. Showcase is also proud to bring viewers this special event, as it highlights the achievements of many of the channel’s stellar line-up of Canadian original comedies.
The 2008 Gemini Awards Broadcast Gala will beam across Canada from the John Bassett Theatre in Toronto. Awards that will be handed out at the gala include:
- Best Comedy Program or Series
- Best Direction in a Dramatic Series
- Best Dramatic Mini-Series
- Best Dramatic Series
- Best Ensemble Performance in a Comedy Program or Series
- Best Host or Interviewer in a General/Human Interest or Talk Program or Series
- Best Host or Interviewer in a Sports Program or Sportscast
- Best News Anchor
- Best Performance by an Actor in a Continuing Leading Dramatic Role
- Best Performance by an Actress in a Continuing Leading Dramatic Role
- Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role in a Dramatic Program or Mini-Series
- Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role in a Dramatic Program or Mini-Series
- Best Reality Program or Series
- Best Writing in a Comedy or Variety Program or Series
- Gemini Humanitarian Award
Latest posts by Diane Wild (see all)
- The legacy of Denis McGrath - March 24, 2017
- Crash Gallery returns for a colourful, chaotic second season - February 5, 2017
- Myth or Science: The Secrets of our Senses comes to The Nature of Things - January 18, 2017