From a media release:
ROOKIE BLUE’S ARRESTING PREMIERE WINS THE NIGHT WITH 1.8 MILLION VIEWERS
- CANADIAN ORIGINAL DRAMA A HIT ON BOTH SIDES OF THE BORDER
- ROOKIE BLUE IS THE #1 NEW CANADIAN DRAMA
Last night, Global Television’s homegrown drama Rookie Blue was a force to be reckoned with as 1.8 million (2+, national) Canadians tuned into the highly-anticipated series premiere. Airing in simulcast with ABC, the much buzzed-about episode won the night nationally and across all key markets.
South of the border, Rookie Blue was also a ratings success as over seven million viewers tuned into the broadcast on ABC. It was the top-rated scripted summer debut in over a year and easily won its 9pm ET/PT timeslot opposite well-established programs including So You Think You Can Dance (FOX) and CSI (CBS).
ROOKIE BLUE DATA HIGHLIGHTS (All data Adults 18- 49):
- 712,000 million viewers in key A18-49 demo
- Rookie Blue won the night in Toronto with 317,000 viewers.
- Highest rated premiere for a Canwest-commissioned original drama within the last five years
- Rookie Blue bested the closest competitor of the night, The Mentalist, with 37% more viewers
- Outperformed The Bridge (CTV) premiere by double the number of viewers and had 165% more viewers than the Republic of Doyle (CBC) premiere
- Rookie Blue garnered 88% more viewers than Flashpoint premiere (July 11, 2008)
Viewers who missed last night’s episode can log onto GlobalTV.com to catch up on the premiere.
The drama continues next week in Ã¢â‚¬Å“Mercury RetrogradeÃ¢â‚¬Â (Thursday, July 1 Ã¢â‚¬â€œ 9pm ET/PT), as Detective Sam Swarek (Ben Bass) drags Andy (Missy Peregrym) through his undercover haunts on a mission he won’t explain. At first, Andy assumes Swarek is a rogue cop trying to settle scores from his undercover days. Then she realizes two things: he’s actually trying to track down a missing informant whose life is in danger now that his cover has been blown; and that there is an undeniable attraction between them.
Canada: All data, as of August 31st 2009, BBM Canada PPM Overnight Data based on Adults 18-49 unless otherwise indicated. BBM NMR Data is used for dates prior to August 31st, 2009.
U.S.: Nielsen Media Research (Fast Affiliate, Live + Same Day Ratings), 6/24/10.