From a media release:
The 2012 WGC Screenwriting Awards Finalists Celebrating Canada’s Screenwriters
It’s time once again for Canada’s top screenwriters to come from behind the scenes and take their place in the spotlight. The Writers Guild of Canada (WGC) today announced the finalists for the 16th annual WGC Screenwriting Awards. Honouring excellence in screenwriting, the WGC Screenwriting Awards will celebrate the winning words of Canada’s screenwriters on April 23 in Toronto.
This year, more than 175 scripts were nominated for awards. First-round judging put forward 28 finalist scripts across the Awards’ seven categories. In all, 34 screenwriters are up for awards. Several special awards, including the WGC Showrunner Award, will also be handed out at the event.
Among this year’s finalists are the screenwriters behind such TV favourites as Flashpoint, Murdoch Mysteries, Dan for Mayor and more. Scripts for shows new to the Awards include Michael: Tuesdays and Thursdays, Todd and the Book of Pure Evil, Sanctuary, and the youth series My Babysitter’s a Vampire. Bruce Smith received a nod for the CBC movie John A: Birth of a Country, and previous WGC Screenwriting Award-winner Sarah Polley returns as a finalist for Take This Waltz. A complete list of finalists follows.
The winners will be announced at the 2012 WGC Screenwriting Awards on Monday, April 23, 2012, at Maro in Liberty Village, Toronto.
Hosting the WGC Screenwriting Awards this year is award-winning comedian and co-creator of Almost Heroes, Ryan Belleville. The Awards will be written by Bob Kerr (22 Minutes) in collaboration with Mr. Belleville.
2012 WGC Screenwriting Awards Finalist List
- Franklin and Friends “Franklin and the Creepy Clock” • Written by Karen Moonah
- Kid vs. Kat “Hit the Road” • Written by Shane Simmons
- Scaredy Squirrel “Nothing But the Tooth” • Written by Darrin Rose
- Sidekick “Henchman for a Day” • Written by Richard Clark
- Sidekick “Ye Olde Sidekick Village” • Written by Dan Williams & Lienne Sawatsky
Children and Youth
- Connor Undercover “Escape Artist” • Written by Evan Thaler Hickey
- My Babysitter’s a Vampire “Blood Drive” • Written by Ken Cuperus
- My Babysitter’s a Vampire “Friday Night Frights” • Written by Ben Joseph
- My Babysitter’s a Vampire “ReVamped” • Written by Alice Prodanou
- Myth or Science (for The Nature of Things) • Written by Dugald Maudsley
- Prosecutor • Written by Barry Stevens
- Waking the Green Tiger, A Green Movement Rises in China • Written by Gary Marcuse
Movies and Miniseries
- Afghan Luke • Screen Story by Patrick Graham & Douglas Bell • Screenplay by Patrick Graham & Douglas Bell and Mike Clattenburg & Barrie Dunn
- John A: Birth of a Country • Written by Bruce M. Smith
- Take This Waltz • Written by Sarah Polley
Shorts and Web Series
- Murdoch Mysteries: The Curse of the Lost Pharaohs “The Vanished Corpse” • Written by Patrick Tarr
- Ruby Skye P.I.: The Spam Scam “Chapter 12–Duhn Duhn Duhn” • Written by Julie Strassman-Cohn & Jill Golick
- Tights and Fights: Ashes “In Search of a New Barry” • Written by Scott Albert
- 18 to Life “One Is the Loneliest Number” • Written by Derek Schreyer
- Dan For Mayor “Ethical Dilemma” • Written by Mark Farrell
- Michael: Tuesdays and Thursdays “Bridges” • Written by Matt Watts
- Todd and the Book of Pure Evil “A Farewell to Curtis’ Arm” • Written by Craig David Wallace
- Flashpoint “The Better Man” • Written by Michael MacLennan
- Flashpoint “Day Game” • Written by Aubrey Nealon
- Flashpoint “A Day in the Life” • Written by Mark Ellis & Stephanie Morgenstern
- Flashpoint “Shockwave” • Written by Larry Bambrick
- Murdoch Mysteries “Kommando” • Written by Graham Clegg
- Sanctuary “Metamorphosis” •Written by Alan McCullough