From a media release:
Season 3 In Development; Season 2 Being Nominated; Season 1 Encore Presentation On Showcase
Since Blackstone first hit the airwaves in November 2009, it has consistently ranked as one of APTN’s top-rated and most popular programs. It has earned the rightful reputation as the kind of show that provokes discussion about issues, engages conversation about social change, and â€“ above all else â€“ entertains.
With two successful seasons already broadcast, and the third season in development, the series will continue to make viewers think and feel. Stories for this hard-hitting drama are now being written, and will continue to explore and expose the tumultuous lives on the fictional Blackstone First Nation.
10 AFTA NOMINATIONS FOR SEASON 2
The Alberta Film & Television Awards recently announced nominees for their 38th annual event, which celebrates excellence and outstanding achievement in Albertan film, television and new media. The second season of Blackstone was honoured with a total of 10 nominations, in the following categories:
- Best Dramatic Series, Producers â€“ Ron E. Scott & Jesse Szymanski
- Best Production Reflecting Cultural Diversity, Producers â€“ Ron E. Scott & Jesse Szymanski
- Best Director Drama Over 30 Minutes â€“ Ron E. Scott
- Best Performance by an Alberta Actor â€“ Nathaniel Arcand
- Best Performance by an Alberta Actress â€“ Michelle Thrush
- Best Performance by an Alberta Actress â€“ Roseanne Supernault
- Best Screenwriter Drama Over 30 Minutes â€“ Ron E. Scott
- Best Editor Drama Over 30 Minutes â€“ Doug Forbes
- Best Visual Effects â€“ Joe Raffa, Trevor Sieben & Kirk Hutton
- Best Make-Up Artist â€“ Prudence Olenik
The Alberta Film & Television Awards will be handed out at a gala dinner and awards evening in Calgary on Saturday, May 12th.
ENCORE PRESENTATION OF SEASON 1
The complete first season of Blackstone will receive an encore presentation on Showcase. Beginning on April 30, the series will be reintroduced to Showcase audiences.
Blackstone is a Gemini Award-winning series produced by Edmontonâ€™s Prairie Dog Film + Television, with Ron E. Scott as executive producer, writer and director, Jesse Szymanski as producer, Damon Vignale as producer and writer, and Gil Cardinal and Penny Gummerson as writers. Blackstone currently broadcasts in Canada and New Zealand. The series is distributed internationally by PPI Releasing.
The first season of Blackstone won two Gemini Awards, and garnered two wins at the 2011 Leo Awards and three wins at the 2011 Alberta Film and Television Awards.
Blackstone was produced in association with Aboriginal Peoples Television Network, with the participation of the Canada Media Fund, with the assistance of the Government of Alberta, Alberta Multimedia Development Fund, with the participation of Rogers Cable Network Fund, and with the assistance of the Canadian Film or Video Production Tax Credit.