Kids say the darnedest things, don’t they? And in the case of Katie, it was a doozy.
“Divorce!” she piped up during the most awkward family dinner on Heartland in, like, forever. Thus the main focus of Sunday’s newest episode, “Faking It,” dealt with the effect of Lou and Peter’s separation becoming pubic knowledge. And while some handled the it pretty much like I thought they would—Tim made a bad situation worse by blaming it all on Peter—Jack stepped up and did the thing he does best: make those hurting feel better. The most touching scene of the night was clearly when he hugged a weeping Georgie and told her everything would be all right. Clearly it won’t—any child of divorced parents will tell you that—but it isn’t the end of the world either.
Kudos to Heartland‘s writers for having Georgie ask some pointed questions of her parents and not fall into any trite, lines other TV shows have already over-used. By the time Georgie climbed up on her horse and did her extreme riding tricks she was able to concentrate and nail a spot on the team. Take that, Olivia!
Meanwhile, Jesse—who has been pretty quiet all season long—unleashed his master plan on Ty and Caleb. After luring Caleb into a partnership, Jesse called in the loan and made ready to not only re-claim his family’s land but drive Amy out of business. Ty, of course, handled it badly and will likely have some assault charges added as insult to injury. Maybe Ty and Amy will be married in jail?
Notes and quotes
- “You’ll still be a family. You’ll just look a little different is all.” Jack makes the best of a bad situation.
- When is Tim going to learn that his first assumptions are always wrong? Reggie = Regina, dude.
- I know everyone will adjust, but seeing Peter portrayed as the enemy was tough to watch.
Heartland airs Sundays at 7 p.m. on CBC.
Latest posts by Greg David (see all)
- Link: Dark Matter’s Natalie Brown on her expanded role in Season 3 - August 17, 2017
- Link: Killjoys’ writer Julie Puckrin previews what’s next for Dutch - August 17, 2017
- Dark Matter: The Raza family reunion - August 17, 2017