From a media release:
In advance of Canada Day celebrations this weekend, CTV confirmed this morning that it has chosen Saturday, September 10, 2016 as the day when Canadians from across the country and around the world will reveal what it means to them to be Canadian as part of the ground-breaking project CANADA IN A DAY. As previously announced, CANADA IN A DAY is a two-hour event broadcast revealing the lives and culture of our country as demonstrated by footage shot and submitted by Canadians.
Inspired by Academy Award® and Golden Globe®-nominee Ridley Scott and Academy Award-winner Kevin Macdonald’s highly successful Life in a Day, CANADA IN A DAY will capture one day in the life of our country, and will air on CTV as part of Canada’s 150th anniversary of Confederation in 2017. CTV also confirmed today that the project’s website, CanadaInADay.ca, is now live.
From countless individual moments and stories, one film will be crafted by director Trish Dolman (Eco-Pirate: The Story of Paul Watson; LUNA: SPIRIT OF THE WHALE) to capture Canada on a single day – engaging people across the country, and Canadians around the world, to share – in any language – their hopes and fears, their personal stories and, in doing so, what it means to be Canadian. From the ordinary to the extraordinary, footage submitted may be included in the final film project set to air on CTV or featured on the film’s online archive at CanadaInADay.ca.
How it Works:
- CANADA IN A DAY is open to Canadian citizens, permanent residents, or landed immigrants across the country, or Canadians living abroad.
- Participants can film as much or as little footage as they want during the 24-hour period on Saturday, September 10, 2016.
- Canadians have until midnight on Saturday, October 22, 2016 to submit their footage online at CanadaInADay.ca.
- CANADA IN A DAY is looking for people to be creative, honest, and real, filming themselves and the people or places that mean the most to them. Participants should capture their passions, loves, fears, hopes, and dreams.
- Canadians are encouraged to film and submit videos in their own languages.
- To help Canadians decide what they want to film, there are four main questions they can ask themselves:
What do you love?
What do you fear?
What do you hope for?
What does Canada mean to you?
Participants can answer the above questions directly to camera, or showcase their answers with a visual response.
For more information, including video submission requirements and tips from director Trish Dolman on how to create a great video, people are encouraged to visit CanadaInADay.ca. Canadians can also sign up to receive alerts and updates during the countdown to the Saturday, Sept. 10 film day.
Celebrity ambassadors supporting the project and helping to bring awareness to the CANADA IN A DAY Saturday, Sept. 10 film day include Russell Peters, Shawn Ashmore, Karine Vanasse, Rick Hansen, Jacob Tremblay, Patrice Bernier, Jason Priestley, Tessa Virtue, Scott Moir, Benjamin Hollingsworth, Giacomo Gianniotti, Jessica Lucas, Roger Frappier, Chan Hon Goh, and more.
CANADA IN A DAY is inspired by the original award-winning Ridley Scott film, Life in a Day. Shot in 2010 and released in 2011, Life in a Day was the remarkable story of one day on Earth. The project garnered more than 80,000 submissions around the world, and contained more than 4,500 hours of deeply personal, powerful moments shot by contributors from Australia to Zambia – from the heart of bustling major cities to some of the most remote places on Earth. Since then, several countries have launched their own In a Day films, including Britain, Italy, Germany, Spain, India, and Japan.
CANADA IN A DAY is produced by Screen Siren Pictures Inc. in association with CTV, with the financial participation of the Canada Media Fund, Bell Fund, Creative BC, FIBC, and the Government of Canada. Executive producers are Scott Free Films, Trish Dolman, and Christine Haebler, with Trish Dolman and Michael Ghent producing for Screen Siren Pictures Inc. Switch United is the web producer and Innovate by Day is the Social Media producer.
Latest posts by Greg David (see all)
- Jann, Season 1 - March 20, 2019
- Preview: Fire Masters grills up tasty vittles on the road to $10,000 - March 19, 2019
- New Metric Media bolsters original slate with three development deals from critically-acclaimed authors - March 18, 2019