From a media release:
Today, CBC/Radio-Canada shares its contribution to the Government’s public consultation on the future of Canadian content in a digital world.
Read the digital summary here: future.cbc.ca.
- Canada should develop a cohesive cultural investment strategy, engaging all of the countries creators and creative industries, similar to what Britainaccomplished with its “Creative Britain” initiative.
- CBC/Radio-Canada can play a key role in supporting that strategy by:
- anchoring a strong and vibrant cultural ecosystem to strengthen our creative economy;
- deepening our engagement with Canadians;
- partnering more closely with Canada’s creators, creative communities and culture institutions to create even more great Canadian content; and
- promoting Canadian content to the world.
- To allow that to happen we recommend removing advertising from CBC/Radio-Canada. This would allow the broadcaster to focus squarely on the cultural impact of our mandate. It would also free up advertising revenue to help private media companies transition to a digital environment.
- For CBC/Radio-Canada to become an ad-free public broadcaster, we recommend increasing per person funding to CBC/Radio-Canada to $46 – an increase of $12 per Canadian. This would enable CBC/Radio-Canada to remove advertising from its services, complete its transformation, and strengthen Canada’s creative economy. This amount reflects the (inflation adjusted) per person funding increase recommended by the Standing Committee on Canadian Heritage in 2008. This is still well below comparable public broadcasters around the world, like the BBC, which receives $114 per person.
Prior to becoming a television critic and owner of TV, Eh?, Greg David was a critic for TV Guide Canada, the country's most trusted source for TV news. He has interviewed television actors, actresses and behind-the-scenes folks from hundreds of television series from Canada, the U.S. and internationally. He is a podcaster, public speaker, weekly radio guest and educator, and past member of the Television Critics Association.
Latest posts by Greg David (see all)
- Global renews high-stakes drama Ransom for third season - July 16, 2018
- TV Eh B Cs podcast 84 — Getting real with Jessica Nahmias - July 16, 2018
- Link: General Hospital actress will make Canadian TV history - July 15, 2018