From a media release:
CTV unveiled today the Top 21 MASTERCHEF CANADA finalists competing for a chance to capture the life-changing title of Canada’s next MasterChef. In a MASTERCHEF CANADA first, this season the esteemed judges pay a surprise personal visit to 21 of the best home cooks across the country, who in turn set off to the MASTERCHEF CANADA Kitchen in Toronto to prepare a dish for the judges. The networks hit series fires up Season 5 on Tuesday, April 3 at 9 p.m. ET / 8 p.m. MT on CTV and CTV GO.
Distinguished Canadian judges Michael Bonacini (O&B restaurant empire), Alvin Leung (Bo Innovation in Hong Kong), and Claudio Aprile (Copetin Restaurant & Bar) mark their joyous return to the MASTERCHEF CANADA Kitchen anticipating tastes of the tantalizing dishes prepared by the Top 21. The home cooks set out to wow the judges in a chance to prove they have the culinary chops to earn a coveted white apron, and a chance to compete for the MASTERCHEF CANADA title and $100,000 cash prize.
Season 5’s Top 21 home cooks vying for the MASTERCHEF CANADA title are:
- Reem Ahmed, Biomedical Engineer from Toronto, Ont.
- Oyakhire Airende, Operations Analyst from Calgary, Alta.
- Eugene Cheng, Financial Advisor and Rowing Coach from Vancouver, B.C.
- Kaegan Donnelly, Software Sales from Vancouver, B.C.
- Claudia Escudero, Customer Service Representative from Dollard-des-Ormeaux, Qué.
- Felix Fudge, Sanitization Specialist from Halifax, N.S.
- Michael Griffiths, Mathematician from Richmond Hill, Ont.
- Andy Hay, Small Business Owner from Dartmouth, N.S.
- Jen Jenkins, Stay-at-Home Mom from Dawson Creek, B.C.
- Nikita Kaisar, Human Resources Management Graduate from Toronto, Ont.
- Layla Kelly, Musician from Halifax, N.S.
- Marissa Leon-John, Tech Support Manager from Dollard–des–Ormeaux, Qué.
- Peter Maltais, Truck Driver from Kitchener, Ont.
- Dawn O’Hara, Stay-at-Home Mom from Calgary, Alta.
- Sienna Potter, Customer Service Representative from Yarmouth, N.S.
- Jonathan Rahim, Real Estate Agent from Winnipeg, Man.
- Nadia Rehman, Account Executive from Markham, Ont.
- Mike Schroeder, Autism Support Worker from Kentville, N.S.
- Melissa Skowron, Facilities Coordinator from Calgary, Alta.
- Beccy Stables, Tile Setter Assistant from Sherwood Park, Alta.
- Michael Varga, Firefighter from Vancouver, B.C.
In each episode, the home cooks are pushed to the limit in a series of Mystery Box Challenges, Team Challenges, and Pressure Tests, with the three judges providing direction and feedback throughout the process. Each task is designed to test and hone the home cooks’ skill, knowledge, passion, and creativity. At the conclusion of each episode at least one person is eliminated until there are only two home cooks left vying for the life-changing MASTERCHEF CANADA title.
Fans are invited to visit CTV.ca/MasterChefCanada throughout the season for exclusive content, including background on this season’s finalists and the MASTERCHEF CANADA judges, as well as interviews, recipes, and more. CTV.ca also offers viewers behind-the-scenes glimpses of this season’s challenges, culinary creations, triumphs, and upsets.
Leading up to the Season 5 premiere, viewers across the country can satisfy their MASTERCHEF CANADA cravings by tuning to the series’ previous seasons, now streaming on CraveTV™.
Following the finale of Season 5 on CTV, the current season of MASTERCHEF CANADA will be available in its entirety on CraveTV, and is also slated to air on Gusto this summer (check local listings).
The MASTERCHEF format and finished programmes are represented internationally by Endemol Shine Group, and is based on a format originally created by Franc Roddam.
MASTERCHEF CANADA is produced by Proper Television in association with CTV. Proper’s Co-President Cathie James is the Executive Producer and Showrunner and Co-President Lesia Capone is Executive Producer.
Latest posts by Greg David (see all)
- Link: How Schitt’s Creek Creator Dan Levy Made a Family of Rich Misfits Lovable - February 23, 2019
- Link: ‘Wynonna Earp’ Production Delayed as IDW Seeks Funding for Season 4 - February 22, 2019
- Link: Why Canadian Comedy ‘Workin’ Moms’ is Seeking the ‘Netflix Effect’ - February 22, 2019