From a media release:
Â CBCÂ today announced the launch ofÂ CBC Gem, the national public broadcasterâ€™s new streaming service, offering more than 4000 hours of live and on-demand programming for free. Available now as Canadaâ€™s destination for acclaimed, authentically Canadian programming and a curated selection of best-in-class content from around the world,Â CBC GemÂ provides live and on-demand access to CBCâ€™s full programming slate spanning drama, comedy, factual entertainment, documentaries, arts, kids, sports and national and local news programming, including the ability to live stream CBC TV at any time with access to 14 CBC channels and their local newscasts across the country. The streaming service also offers French-language programming from ICI Radio-Canada.
CBC will also collaborate with new partners in order to expand theÂ CBC GemÂ streaming library and offer additional Canadian and international content.Â A new partnership between CBC and homegrown success storyÂ Wattpad, the global multiplatform entertainment company for original stories and the worldâ€™s most popular social storytelling platform, will offer emerging Canadian writers the opportunity to create exclusive content for CBC Gem, with more details to be confirmed in the new year.Â The streaming service also offers more than 100 acclaimed Canadian feature films, available ad-free in partnership withÂ Telefilm Canada, with a selection of films from theÂ National Film Board of Canada, including Indigenous projects, to be added in the coming year.
The growing streaming library available on CBC Gem is supported by ongoing acquisitions from key Canadian distribution partners, including A71 Entertainment, Elevation Pictures, eOne, levelFILM and Mongrel Media, and international partners BBC Studios, Fremantle International, ITV Studios Global Entertainment and Sky Vision.
CBC Gem is available for free as an App forÂ iOSÂ andÂ AndroidÂ devices and online atÂ cbcgem.ca, and on television via Apple TV and Google Chromecast. An ad-free premium membership is also available for $4.99 per month, which also provides access to a live stream of CBC News Network.Â All childrenâ€™s programming is always provided ad-free within CBC Gem.
CBC Gem is exclusive to Canada.Â All contentÂ is available with Closed Captioning, and Described Video is available for most on-demand content.
CBC Member – FREE (registration required):
- Live stream CBC TV, including access to all 14 local channels from across the country and their news broadcasts
- Watch current and past seasons of favourite shows on demand
- Resume watching programs on any device
- Ad-free childrenâ€™s programming
CBC Member – Premium:
For $4.99 a month (with the first month free of charge), Canadians can upgrade their viewing experience to enjoy additional features and content:
- Watch on-demand episodes without ads
- Live stream CBC News Network 24/7
CBC Gem Programming Highlights:
- All episodes of new CBC original dramaÂ NORTHERN RESCUEÂ (10×60), starring William Baldwin and Kathleen Robertson, will be available to stream exclusively in Canada on CBC Gem starting Friday, March 1.
- Past and current seasons of CBC series, including acclaimed comediesÂ KIMâ€™S CONVENIENCE,Â BARONESS VON SKETCH SHOW andÂ SCHITTâ€™S CREEK; factual entertainment favouriteÂ THE GREAT CANADIAN BAKING SHOW; crowd-pleasing dramasÂ MURDOCH MYSTERIES,Â ANNE WITH AN EÂ andÂ HEARTLAND; and classic CBC hits likeÂ THE KIDS IN THE HALLÂ andÂ BEING ERICA.
- Renowned programming from around the world including:Â FORTITUDEÂ (Season 1) with Stanley Tucci; international hitÂ THE GREAT BRITISH BAKING SHOW (Seasons 1-8);Â LUTHERÂ starring Idris Elba (Seasons 1-4);Â PORTLANDIAÂ (Seasons 1-5);Â TOP OF THE LAKE: CHINA GIRL;Â THE TUDORSÂ (Seasons 1 – 4); miniseriesÂ VANITY FAIR; and BAFTA Award-winning seriesÂ WALLANDERÂ (Seasons 1-4) with Kenneth Branagh; with Emmy AwardÂ®-winningÂ LITTLE DORRITÂ starring Claire Foy (The Crown) available later this month.
- CBC News award-winning news and investigative programming available live and on demand, includingÂ THE NATIONAL,Â MARKETPLACE, THE FIFTH ESTATEÂ andÂ POWER AND POLITICS, in addition to livestream access to 14 local news broadcasts across the country.
- More than 500 hours of Canadian and international documentary storytelling, includingÂ CBC DOCS POVâ€™s critically acclaimedÂ 14 & Muslim;Â THE NATURE OF THINGSÂ three-part seriesÂ Equus: Story of the Horse; CBC Docs Special PresentationÂ In Search of a Perfect WorldÂ with Peter Mansbridge; andÂ CBC SHORT DOCSâ€™Â Fast Horse, Sundance Film Festival 2019 selection and Best Documentary Work Short Format winner at the 2018 imagineNATIVE Film + Media Arts Festival.
- More than 200 hours of ad-free childrenâ€™s programming, including CBC Kidsâ€™ favouritesÂ ADDISON, BECCAâ€™S BUNCH,Â DOT,THE FURCHESTER HOTELÂ andÂ TRUE AND THE RAINBOW KINGDOM.
- CBC Sportsâ€™Â ROAD TO THE OLYMPIC GAMES available live and on demand, with upcoming highlights includingÂ FIS World Cup Alpine,Â Cross Country,Â Freestyle Skiing,Â Ski JumpingÂ andÂ Nordic Combined;Â IBSF World Cup BobsleighÂ andÂ Skeleton; and theÂ ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2019Â from Saitama, Japan.
- More than 100 buzzworthy Canadian feature films, representing the best of contemporary Canadian film, available ad-free in partnership with Telefilm Canada. Titles include:Â Barneyâ€™s Version(2010, Richard J. Lewis),Â Cairo TimeÂ (2009, Ruba Nada),Â Meditation ParkÂ (2017, Mina Shum),Â Midnightâ€™s ChildrenÂ (2012, Deepa Mehta) andÂ MommyÂ (2014, Xavier Dolan), with upcoming titles includingÂ Jean of the JonesesÂ (2016, Stella Meghie) and Canadian Screen Award-winningÂ MaudieÂ (2016, Aisling Walsh) as well as OscarÂ®-nominated filmsÂ BrooklynÂ (2015, John Crowley) andÂ IncendiesÂ (2010, Denis Villeneuve). New homegrown films will be added each week, spanning a wide range of genres and featuring diverse, accomplished filmmakers.
- French programming from ICI Tou.TV streaming service includingÂ #DANSLATOILE,Â 1001 NUITSandÂ TRANSFORMATRUC.