From a media release:
CBC, Canada’s public broadcaster, today announced its first-ever development slate of podcast-to-television series that will see five popular, original CBC Podcasts adapted for the screen. These initial projects include: David Ridgen’s SOMEONE KNOWS SOMETHING (First Generation Films, scripted); UNCOVER: THE VILLAGE (Noble Entertainment, documentary); PERSONAL BEST (3Arts Entertainment, unscripted); TAI ASKS WHY (Irwin Entertainment, unscripted); and, ALONE: A LOVE STORY (Sienna Films, scripted). The announcement was made at Podcast Movement 2019 in Orlando, Florida, the largest podcast gathering in the world.
CBC’s first foray into the adaptation of podcasts for television includes five acclaimed podcast titles with wide ranging subject matter, from drama and true crime, to humour and life’s greatest questions:
SOMEONE KNOWS SOMETHING
● In development for a scripted series with First Generation Films. CBC’s most-downloaded original title, SOMEONE KNOWS SOMETHING with host David Ridgen examines unsolved cases of missing or murdered individuals, in hopes of uncovering new information, while also exploring how the cases have affected the families and communities involved.
UNCOVER: THE VILLAGE
● In development for an unscripted, documentary series with Noble Television. The true crime podcast, the third in the Uncover series, explores two waves of unsolved murders in Toronto’s Gay Village, 40 years apart, following the arrest of Bruce McArthur in January 2018.
● In development with 3Arts Entertainment for an unscripted series. The humorous, internationally acclaimed podcast helps ordinary people work through the little things they’d never bring to a life coach and celebrates small ambitions, half-wins, and getting less bad at things. From kicking a snooze button addiction to being less awkward around cashiers, Personal Best aims to be a self-improvement sidekick.
TAI ASKS WHY
● In development with Irwin Entertainment for an unscripted series. The award-winning podcast looks for answers to life’s biggest questions from the perspective of an exceptional 12-year-old through conversations with everyone from NASA experts to his own little brother in order to expand the minds of the audience and touch their hearts.
ALONE: A LOVE STORY
● In development with Sienna Films for a scripted series. This acclaimed podcast is a memoir about love, marriage and life after betrayal, telling raw truths about life post-divorce, dating and the maddening uncertainties of life and love.
CBC is Canada’s Public Podcaster, reaching more Canadians than any other podcast publisher. With more than 20 series in genres including investigative reporting and true crime, comedy, human interest and audio fiction, CBC podcasts are downloaded millions of times per month.