From a media release:
Bell Media confirmed today the new and returning original prime time entertainment series, documentaries, and specials fueling its English-language services and produced in partnership with independent production partners.
Bell Mediaâ€™s English-language original programming is some of the most watched and most awarded in the country:
- THE AMAZING RACE CANADAÂ is not only last yearâ€™s #1 Canadian series, but also Canadaâ€™s most-watched summer program for seven years straight in the A25-54 demo. The fan-favourite series won six 2020 Canadian Screen Awards, including Best Reality/Competition Program or Series.
- TRANSPLANTÂ quickly became the most-watched Canadian drama during its first season on CTV, whileÂ JANNÂ was the #1 new Canadian comedy of 2018-19, and received three 2020 Canadian Screen Award nominations, including Best Comedy Series.
- CORNER GAS ANIMATEDÂ reigned as the #1 series on CTV Comedy Channel last broadcast year and won three 2020 Canadian Screen Awards, including Best Animated Program or Series.
- Discovery hitÂ DISASTERS AT SEAÂ was named Best Factual Series at the Canadian Screen Awards, whileÂ HEAVY RESCUE: 401Â is a Top 5 series for the channel among total viewers across all seasons.
Among todayâ€™s announcements:
- CTV announced today along with NBCUniversal International Studios that a Season 2 renewal is underway forÂ TRANSPLANT, the #1 Canadian drama and Top 20 hit from Sphere Media, hot on the heels ofÂ NBCâ€™s earlier acquisitionÂ of the seriesâ€™ first season.
- As well, hit comedy seriesÂ JANN, starring Jann Arden, has been renewed for Season 3 ahead of its second season premiere this fall on CTV,Â announced earlier today.
- The CTV Originals slate also includes the previously confirmed comedyÂ CHILDREN RUIN EVERYTHINGÂ from the producers of LETTERKENNY; new paranormal seriesÂ THE SURREALTORÂ from the producers of SPINNING OUT and VAGRANT QUEEN; music documentary seriesÂ THIS IS POP, recounting the most pivotal moments in pop music history; the newly retitled seriesÂ HOLMES FAMILY EFFECT; and new seasons ofÂ CORNER GAS ANIMATED, THE AMAZING RACE CANADA, andÂ WYNONNA EARP, along with the special all-star edition ofÂ MASTERCHEF CANADA: BACK TO WIN.
- In addition to a strong roster of original documentaries (see below), Crave confirmed today that fan-favourite seriesÂ LETTERKENNYÂ is returning for Season 9.
- Discovery Networks addsÂ MUD MOUNTAIN HAULERSÂ (working title) from the producers of returning hitsÂ HIGHWAY THRU HELLÂ andÂ HEAVY RESCUE 4O1, as well as two additional new series marking a new partnership between fishing adventurer Cyril Chaquet and Discovery. A new season ofÂ DISASTERS AT SEAÂ is also set to return.
- Plus, Bell Media confirms new documentariesÂ BUFFY SAINTE-MARIE: POWER IN THE BLOODÂ andÂ HOWIE MANDEL: BUT, ENOUGH ABOUT ME, along with new Crave Original documentariesÂ THE NEW CORPORATION, the unfortunately necessary sequel to 2003â€™s THE CORPORATION;Â THE GRIZZLY TRUTHÂ about the former NBA team the Vancouver Grizzlies; andÂ INCONVENIENT INDIAN, based on the stinging bestseller by Thomas King.
Bell Mediaâ€™s English-language prime time Original Entertainment Productions slate from independent producers includes:
- CHILDREN RUIN EVERYTHINGÂ â€“ New Series
AsÂ previously announced, CTVâ€™s new, half-hour comedy showcases one coupleâ€™s efforts to maintain a piece of their old lives which are continually thwarted by their young children in surprising and absurd ways. But somewhere in the toy-filled, pee-stained wreckage of what they once had, they find a new life thatâ€™s pretty good, too. Produced by New Metric Media,Â CHILDREN RUIN EVERYTHINGÂ is created by veteran comedy writer and producer Kurt Smeaton (SCHITTâ€™S CREEK) and executive produced by Chuck Tatham (MODERN FAMILY) and Mark Montefiore (LETTERKENNY). (New Metric Media)
- CORNER GAS ANIMATED â€“ Season 3
AsÂ previously announced, the Canadian Screen Award-winning seriesÂ CORNER GAS ANIMATEDÂ is back for Season 3, and sees the return of the beloved ensemble cast starring Brent Butt, Gabrielle Miller, Eric Peterson, Fred Ewanuick, Lorne Cardinal, Tara Spencer-Nairn, Nancy Robertson, and Corrine Koslo. Season 3 also features a varied and star-studded list of guest-stars including comedy icon Andrea Martin, Jason Priestley, TSNâ€™s Jay Onrait and Dan Oâ€™Toole,Â Canadian country singer Brett Kissel, Grammy-winning rock band Arcade Fire, and professional wrestlers Lance Storm, Bret â€œThe Hitmanâ€ Hart, and Trish Stratus. (Prairie Pantoons, Moving Mountoons, and Smiley Guy Studios)
- HOLMES FAMILY EFFECTÂ â€“ New Series
Featuring Canadian TV icon and professional contractor Mike Holmes, along with his daughter Sherry, and son Michael, the brand-new inspirational series follows the Holmes family as they tackle their most ambitious projects to date. Each heart-warming episode focuses on the Holmes family as they transform the working spaces of inspiring organizations dedicated to making a difference in their communities. (Make It Right Productions)
- JANN â€“ Season 3
CTVâ€™s hit comedy seriesÂ JANNÂ returns for a third season. Starring multi-platinum award-winning Canadian singer, songwriter, broadcaster, and author Jann Arden as a fictionalized version of herself, Season 3 will see Jannâ€™s hilarious and self-deprecating, attention-drawing antics continue, as she struggles to balance the demands of her family, career, and love life. Todayâ€™s announcement comes ahead of the Season 2 premiere of the series this fall. Season 1 of the critically acclaimed comedy reigns as the most-watched new Canadian comedy series of the 2018-19 broadcast year. (Project 10 Productions and SEVEN24 Films)
- MASTERCHEF CANADA: BACK TO WIN
In the all-new, special all-star edition of hit culinary competition series MASTERCHEF CANADA, judges Michael Bonacini (O&B restaurant empire), Alvin Leung (Bo Innovation in Hong Kong), and Claudio Aprile (Xango Toronto), are back forÂ MASTERCHEF CANADA: BACK TO WIN, which offers some of the countryâ€™s best competitors from the past six seasons a second chance at winning $100,000 and the life-changing MASTERCHEF CANADA title. (Proper Television)
- THE AMAZING RACE CANADA â€“ Season 8
AsÂ previously announced, multiple Canadian Screen Award-winningÂ THE AMAZING RACE CANADAÂ returns for an eighth season on CTV. Hosted by Olympic Gold Medallist Jon Montgomery, the adventure continues as an all-new cast of racers head to the starting line to push themselves out of their comfort zones in a non-stop, action-packed race. Season 7 ofÂ THE AMAZING RACE CANADAÂ was the most-watched in four years, with a season average of 1.9 million viewers, earning the title of Canadaâ€™s most-watched program for a seventh year in-a-row with A25-54. (Insight Productions Inc.)
- THIS IS POP â€“Â New Music Documentary Series
From the Brill Building to Auto-Tune, from Boyz II Men to ABBA, from Orville Peck to Â Shania Twain: the biggest names in music tell the untold stories of the most pivotal moments in pop music history. Each director-driven episode is a documentary film with its own style, voice, and one goal in common: to look at how these game-changing moments unfolded, and why their impact on pop music and culture continues today. (Banger Films)
- THE STAND-UP SHOW WITH JON DORE â€“Â New Series
Filmed at the 2019 Just For Laughs festival in MontrÃ©al, renowned Canadian comic Jon Dore steps up to the mic to thrill audiences and spotlight some of the biggest and up-and-coming names in comedy, including Sasheer Zamata, Kyle Brownrigg, LETTERKENNYâ€™s Mark Forward, andÂ Jackie Pirico. (Just For Laughs)
- THE SURREALTORÂ â€“Â New Series
InÂ THE SURREALTOR, realtor Nick Roman and an elite team of specialists handle the cases that no one else can: haunted and possessed houses that literally scare would-be buyers away. Researching, investigating, and â€œfixingâ€ the things that go bump in the night, the team works to create closure â€“ and closings â€“ even as they struggle with demons of their own. Executive produced by Lance Samuels and Daniel Iron (SPINNING OUT, VAGRANT QUEEN), along with George Olson who will also serve as showrunner. (Blue Ice Pictures)
- TRANSPLANT â€“ Season 2
A second season renewal is underway forÂ TRANSPLANT, the most-watched Canadian drama. The series will continue to follow Dr. Bashir â€œBashâ€ Hamed (Hamza Haq, THE INDIAN DETECTIVE), a Syrian doctor with battle-tested skills in emergency medicine who made the difficult decision to flee his country with his younger sister Amira. Together they build a new life in Canada, as Bash rebuilds his career in medicine at York Memorial Hospital. The series just wrapped its first season, generating an average audience of 1.4 million viewers. 1.7 million Canadians also watched the season finale.Season 2 will see the return of Hamza Haq, Laurence Leboeuf (19-2), John Hannah (MARVELâ€™S AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D.), Jim Watson (MARY KILLS PEOPLE), and Ayisha Issa (Polar). It will be produced by Sphere Media, in association with CTV and NBCUniversal International Studios, aÂ division of Universal Content Group.
- WYNONNA EARP â€“ Season 4
This back-by-popular demand cult-hit sees the return of stars Tim Rozon, Dominique Provost-Chalkley,Â Katherine Barrell, and of course the inimitable Melanie Scrofano as the titular star. In Season 4, the Earp Curse is broken, and witty and wild demon hunter Wynonna Earp would love to be celebrating with cold whisky and hot donuts. Too bad she has to rescue everyone she loves, save the town of Purgatory, and take on her most diabolical, Earp-hating enemy yet â€“ all without her trustworthy gun, Peacemaker. And thatâ€™s just Monday. (SEVEN24 Films / Crave)
- LETTERKENNY â€“ Season 9
The multiple award-winning and international sensation Crave Original series,Â LETTERKENNY, returns for its much-anticipated ninth season. Starring Jared KeesoÂ and produced by New Metric Media, the half-hour, small-town comedy revolves around the dustups Wayne (Keeso) and his buds get into with their small-town rivals. The Hicks, The Skids, and The Hockey Players get at each other about the most mundane things, often ending with someone getting their ass kicked.Â Keeso is executive producer, co-writer, and creator, Jacob Tierney is executive producer, director, and co-writer, and for New Metric Media are Mark MontefioreÂ as executive producer and Kara Haflidson as producer.Â (New Metric Media)
Discovery Networks Originals
- CHASING MONSTERS â€“Â New Series
From giant barracudas to 500lb stingrays,Â CHASING MONSTERSÂ takes viewersÂ on a high adrenaline quest to seek out the worldâ€™s most colossal underwater creatures in remote and dangerous corners of the planet. Hosted by extreme angler and adventurer Cyril Chauquet, this high-stakes series explores the elusive monster fish living in the hidden depths of the oceans, lakes, and rivers. (Untamed Productions)
- DISASTERS AT SEA â€“ Season 2
DISASTERS AT SEAÂ from Bell Media Studiosâ€™ Exploration Productions Inc. features experienced and dedicated marine investigators tracking down new evidence and solving the mysteries behind some of the most devastating and unexpected real-life marine disasters in recent history. (Exploration Productions Inc.)
- HEAVY RESCUE: 401 â€“ Season 5
Smash-hit original seriesÂ HEAVY RESCUE: 401Â returns for Season 5 with new episodes featuring compelling extreme winter wrecks and roadside rescues on Ontarioâ€™s notorious 400-series highways â€“ extending from Windsor in the west to the QuÃ©bec border in the east. The series takes viewers on a riveting ride through tense situations in intense environments. (Great Pacific Media)
- HIGHWAY THRU HELL â€“ Season 9
Featuring stories of remarkable strength and fearless dedication,Â HIGHWAY THRU HELLÂ chronicles the lives of heroic rescue teams who often put their own lives at risk to help keep vital transport highways open and communities safe. Dropping everything to respond, it is their duty to remove the often-dangerous cargo, clean up the twisted metal, clear the road, and get traffic rolling again for thousands of drivers. (Great Pacific Media)
- MUD MOUNTAIN HAULERS (Working Title) â€“Â New Series
From the producers of HIGHWAY THRU HELL and HEAVY RESCUE: 4O1,Â MUD MOUNTAIN HAULERSÂ (working title) isÂ a newÂ eight-episode, one-hour docu-seriesÂ that followsÂ Craig LeBeau and hisÂ three-generationÂ LeBeau Bros. family logging business through the steepest, muddiest conditions in North America.Â The series focuses on brothers Craig and Brent Lebeau, two men willing to go onto the steepest frozen mountains to make a living,Â supply the world with lumber and paper,Â and keep the family business alive.Â They faceÂ blizzards, machine breakdowns, mountain-side roll-overs, all while in a race to beat the hellacious mud of spring breakup.Â The crewÂ must work steeper, higher, and more treacherous terrain than others dare, just to make it through an industry in an epic slump.Â (Great Pacific Media)
Documentaries and Specials
- BUFFY SAINTE MARIE: POWER IN THE BLOOD â€“Â New CTV Original Documentary
For more than 50 years,Â Buffy Sainte-Marie has been a star. Her songs are legendary, her impact undeniable. One of Canadaâ€™s most-respected Indigenous leaders, sheâ€™s a pioneer of music and activism, and has left an indelibleÂ mark on the world. From the producers of the Crave Original Documentary ONCE WERE BROTHERS: ROBBIE ROBERTSON AND THE BAND,Â BUFFY SAINTE-MARIE: POWER IN THE BLOODÂ is the dramatic, powerful story of one of the most important personalities of our time. The film is aÂ unique collaboration between the singer and filmmaker Alex Lazarowich that tells Buffyâ€™s incredible story through exclusive access, rare archives, insightful interviews, and great music.Â BUFFY SAINTE-MARIE:Â POWER IN THE BLOODÂ celebrates Buffyâ€™s extraordinary achievements, dispels myths, sets the record straight, and illustrates that in a time of chaos and division, weâ€™ve never needed Buffy more than now. (White Pine Pictures)
- HOWIE MANDEL: BUT, ENOUGH ABOUT ME â€“Â New CTV and Crave Original Documentary
Directed by Canadian film director and producer Barry Avrich, and featuring Heidi Klum, Simon Cowell, David Dobrik, and more, this new documentary explores Mandelâ€™s rise from Toronto carpet salesman to Hollywood star as viewers get an exclusive behind-the-scenes look at the Canadian comedian, actor, and TV host. (Melbar Entertainment Group)
- FANNY: THE RIGHT TO ROCK â€“Â New Crave Original Documentary
Revealing the untold story of a Filipina American founded garage band that morphed into the ferocious rock group Fanny, the first all-female band to release an LP with a major record label (Warner/Reprise/1970). Despite releasing five critically acclaimed albums and counting David Bowie as one of their biggest fans, Fannyâ€™s groundbreaking impact in music has been lost in the mists of timeâ€¦until bandmates reunite 50 years later with a new rock record deal and chance to right the wrongs of music history. Also featuring Bonnie Raitt, Joe Elliott, Kate Pierson, John Sebastian, Kathy Valentine, Charles Neville, Cherie Currie, Todd Rundgren, and other music icons. (Director: Bobbi Jo Hart / Adobe Productions International Inc.)
- INCONVENIENT INDIAN â€“Â New Crave Original Documentary
This feature documentary from Michelle Latimer takes viewers on a journey into the mind of Thomas King: one of the worldâ€™s foremostÂ intellectuals, and one of our greatest storytellers. Inspired by his stinging bestseller, this sumptuous film journeys across the continent to explore the waysÂ Indigenous peoples continue to inconvenience colonial states with their existence and their resistance. (Director: Michelle Latimer / 90thÂ Parallel Productions Ltd and the National Film Board of Canada)
- KINGS OF COKE â€“Â New Crave Original Documentary
This feature documentary film is about the rise and fall of MontrÃ©alâ€™s infamous West End Gang and mob lawyer Sidney Leithmanâ€™s unsolved murder. Documenting the ascent of the West End Gang, from a rag tag group of thieves to international drug importers. With multiple timelines, searing testimony, and a unique visual approach,Â KINGS OF COKEÂ will create points of tension, mystery, and suspense by trying to answer the question â€œWho killed Sidney Leithman?â€; a question that can only be answered by examining the bloody rise of the West End Gang over two decades. Itâ€™s a tale of a massive criminal conspiracy, corrupt cops, tons of cocaine, and millions of dollars all pointing in one direction â€“ a lawyerâ€™s office in MontrÃ©al. (Connect3 and Urbania)
- THE GRIZZLY TRUTH â€“Â New Crave Original Documentary
From the team behindÂ Finding Big CountryÂ andÂ The Carter Effect,Â THE GRIZZLY TRUTHÂ follows superfan Kat Jaymeâ€™s search for truth and redemption for her hometown NBA team, the Vancouver Grizzlies â€¦ who mysteriously disappeared after just six seasons. Through Katâ€™s unwavering devotion, this documentary explores the unique and remarkable story of how Vancouver won an NBA franchise against all odds, only to lose the team in record time. This is the untold story of the gone, but far from forgotten, Vancouver Grizzlies. Full of heart and humour,Â THE GRIZZLY TRUTHÂ is much moreÂ than a sports story; itâ€™s a mystery, a comedy of errors, and an underdog epic. (Director: Kat Jayme / Grizz Films in partnership with Uninterrupted).
- THE NEW CORPORATION â€“Â New Crave Original Documentary
THE CORPORATION (2003) examined the institution of the corporation and its role within society;Â THE NEW CORPORATIONÂ â€“ an unfortunately necessary sequel â€“ reveals a society now engulfed by that institution, wholly captured and seduced into adopting corporate values, serving corporate interests, and slowly, unwittingly ceding our independence. The documentary looks at how we got here and what can be done to regain, revitalize, and reimagine our democracy. (Directors: Jennifer Abbott and Joel Bakan / Grant Street Productions in association with Screen Siren Pictures Inc.)