Have you met the sloths?
If your immediate response was anything other than â€œOMG, I love the sloths, they are so cute, squeeeeeeeee!â€ you clearly havenâ€™t met these unbelievably mellow creatures, with their Mona Lisa smiles and zen-like demeanour. They are the animal equivalent of Buddha, or possibly Cheech and Chong.
Where can you hang with the sloths? At the Sloth Sanctuary in Costa Rica, of course. This one-of-a-kind facility rescues, rehabilitates and houses countless sloths. But if Costa Rica is a bit too far, you can always tune into tonight’s season premiere of Meet The Sloths on Animal Planet.
There is a great deal to learn about these enigmatic creatures, but this quick primer should get you caught up on your sloth studies.
What you need to know:
- The most interesting thing about sloths is their poop
- You can gauge a slothâ€™s health by its poop
- Sloths only poop once a week
- Pooping is virtually the only time they descend to the ground
- Sloths donâ€™t just descend and poop, they do a â€œpoop danceâ€
- Seriously, the sanctuaryâ€™s staff is so obsessed with sloth poop that youâ€™d think it was laced with 24k gold
Donâ€™t believe me? Watch this clip:
Defecation aside, the new season also delves into the romances and clandestine affairs of the sanctuaryâ€™s furry inhabitants. In episode 2 we meet â€œBrad Pitt,â€ an unusually handsome wild sloth who is helpless to resist the siren call of the females. By siren call I mean a high pitched shriek that could possibly shatter glass. Poor Brad scales concrete walls in dogged pursuit of the ladies, and unfortunately adds lust to his other obvious deadly sin.
You know … sloth … deadly sin … just watch the movie Seven and youâ€™ll get it.
Animal Planetâ€™s Meet The Sloths premieres today, Saturday, November 23 at 8 p.m. ET/9 p.m. PT