Have you met the sloths?
If your immediate response was anything other than “OMG, I love the sloths, they are so cute, squeeeeeeeee!” you clearly haven’t met these unbelievably mellow creatures, with their Mona Lisa smiles and zen-like demeanour. They are the animal equivalent of Buddha, or possibly Cheech and Chong.
Where can you hang with the sloths? At the Sloth Sanctuary in Costa Rica, of course. This one-of-a-kind facility rescues, rehabilitates and houses countless sloths. But if Costa Rica is a bit too far, you can always tune into tonight’s season premiere of Meet The Sloths on Animal Planet.
There is a great deal to learn about these enigmatic creatures, but this quick primer should get you caught up on your sloth studies.
What you need to know:
- The most interesting thing about sloths is their poop
- You can gauge a sloth’s health by its poop
- Sloths only poop once a week
- Pooping is virtually the only time they descend to the ground
- Sloths don’t just descend and poop, they do a “poop dance”
- Seriously, the sanctuary’s staff is so obsessed with sloth poop that you’d think it was laced with 24k gold
Don’t believe me? Watch this clip:
Defecation aside, the new season also delves into the romances and clandestine affairs of the sanctuary’s furry inhabitants. In episode 2 we meet “Brad Pitt,” an unusually handsome wild sloth who is helpless to resist the siren call of the females. By siren call I mean a high pitched shriek that could possibly shatter glass. Poor Brad scales concrete walls in dogged pursuit of the ladies, and unfortunately adds lust to his other obvious deadly sin.
You know … sloth … deadly sin … just watch the movie Seven and you’ll get it.
Animal Planet’s Meet The Sloths premieres today, Saturday, November 23 at 8 p.m. ET/9 p.m. PT