In the end, Alex Trebek only hung around long enough to welcome the first five teams to the mat during Wednesday’s adventures in his hometown of Sudbury, Ont. I’m guessing he had a plane to catch or the bugs got to be too bad. Either way, despite his early exit, several teams were in jeopardy, with Nic and Sabrina seeing their luck on The Amazing Race Canada run out.
The pair have been travelling with horseshoes in their back pockets since Week 2, and Nic’s frustration during the Analyze Detour and CPR Roadblock took them off their game.
“Who is Alex Trebek?” served notice to Brian and Cynthia—despite landing third-place—that just because you have prior experience at something doesn’t guarantee instant success. Like Nic did during blind soccer a few weeks back, the police pair assumed their experience in law enforcement would serve them well during the forensic challenge at Laurentian University. Instead, they saw wrestlers Matt and Nick complete the task first. Then Cynthia beamed as she entered the CPR Road Block, thinking her past as a paramedic would mean an early triumph. Not so. Still, they did land in third place for the week.
Meanwhile, Gino and Jesse replicated last week’s success with another first-place finish thanks to nabbing the Fast Forward clue 10 minutes ahead of their nearest competitors. They paused for just a moment while feeding their turtle bugs before agreeing to nosh down on the same crunchy critters; Jesse scarfed them down in one mouthful and they were off to the Bell Park Gazebo to check in with Jon Montgomery and Trebek.
Here’s how the teams finished this Leg:
- Gino and Jesse
- Nick and Matt
- Brian and Cynthia
- Brent and Sean
- Simi and Ope
- Neil and Kristin
- Dujean and Leilani
- Nic and Sabrina (eliminated)
Notes and quotes
- It got a little dusty during Alex Trebek’s emotional speech about the relationship he shares with his daughter.
- Sudbury is one of the happiest places in the country? Even during blackfly season?
- Kudos to the Race editors who intercut Nic and Sabrina talking about how age doesn’t matter while showing them bickering.
- “We were in a little bit of jeopardy in that one part.” Oh, Sean.
The Amazing Race Canada airs Wednesdays at 9 p.m. ET/PT on CTV.
Latest posts by Greg David (see all)
- Introducing the 2018 CFC Bell Media Prime Time TV writers - September 20, 2018
- Preview: The Nature of Things opens its new season with “Equus — Story of the Horse” - September 20, 2018
- Preview: Murdoch Mysteries takes a Wright turn into Season 12 - September 20, 2018