It seems like just yesterday Anne debuted on CBC and now, all of a sudden, Sunday’s season finale is upon us. While much of Moira Walley-Beckett’s interpretation has been faithful to L.M. Montgomery’s tome, there have been deviations from the source material, most notably the death of Gilbert Blythe’s father, rendering him an orphan just like Anne.
Overall, I’ve been very impressed with the tone, cinematography and performances, particularly Amybeth McNulty’s take on our flame-haired heroine. But, really, everyone has been stellar and these first eight episodes have merely whet my appetite for more. Alas, nothing has been announced yet and we’ll have to settle for Sunday’s episode for now.
Here’s what CBC says about “Wherever you are is my home,” written by Walley-Beckett and directed by Amanda Tapping:
- On the verge of losing the farm, the Cuthberts must do whatever it takes to save it. Anne is reminded of the strength of friendship and love.
- And he’s what else we can tell you after watching a screener of the episode.
- It’s Christmas in Avonlea
That’s no surprise if you’ve seen Sunday’s teaser or the image above, but there’s no Yuletide cheer at the farm as Marilla and Matthew struggle to pay their debts. Will there be a Christmas miracle or a chunk of coal at the bottom of Anne’s stocking?
- Road trip!
An unlikely pair goes on an important journey and learn more about themselves—and each other—on the way. Keep your eyes open for veteran actors Daniel Kash in a key scene as well as showrunner Walley-Beckett in a blink-and-you’ll-miss her moment.
- Road trip!
- Geraldine James and R. H. Thomson are amazing
The pair has been stellar as Marilla and Matthew all season, but James and Thomson ratchet up their performances on Sunday in several jaw-droppingly good scenes. While we’re on it, McNulty and James share some emotional moments too. Better keep the tissues handy, folks.
- What did you think of the first season of Anne? Are you wanting more? Comment below!
Images courtesy of CBC.
Latest posts by Greg David (see all)
- Wynonna Earp welcomes Canadian music icon Jann Arden to Purgatory - April 24, 2018
- TV Eh B Cs podcast 80 — Getting the story from Gemma Holdway - April 24, 2018
- Cedar Island launches at Hot Docs - April 24, 2018