From a media release:
Following yesterday’s exclusive announcement at Banff World Media Festival, Global confirms the start of production and casting details for new original scripted series, Robyn Hood. With filming beginning June 20 in the Toronto and Hamilton area, Robyn Hood is produced by Boat Rocker, created by innovative music video director and filmmaker Julien Christian Lutz pka Director X (Superfly, Mister Tachyon), and written by award-winning screenwriter Chris Roberts (Orphan Black, Frontier).
Set to premiere on Global in the 2023 broadcast year, the eight-episode, one-hour contemporary re-imagining of the Robin Hood legend follows fearless heroine Robyn Loxley and anti-authoritarian masked hip-hop band, The Hood, as they call out injustices and fight for freedom and equality in the city of New Nottingham.
The heroic tale stars an aspiring cast including:
· Jessye Romeo (Pennyworth) as Robyn Loxley, young rapper and leader of The Hood
· Nykeem Provo (The Right One) as Little John, Robyn’s daring right hand man and member of The Hood
· Idrissa Sanogo (Titans) as Alan A. Dale, The Hood’s charming music producer
· Daniela Kharlamova (The Boys) as Much, a mechanical genius and The Hood’s vocalist
· Jonathan Langdon (Run the Burbs) as Tuck, The Hood’s eccentric hacker
· Sydney Kuhne (Kim’s Convenience) as Marian Fitzwalter, a determined lawyer
· Ian Matthews (The Hardy Boys) as John Prince, a wealthy and villainous real estate tycoon in New Nottingham
· Kira Guloien (Murdoch Mysteries) as The Sheriff, a strong-willed and corrupt sheriff who runs a tight surveillance in New Nottingham
· Manuel Rodriguez (Black Summer) as Guy Gisbourne, a ruthless criminal kingpin and rapper
· Lisa Michelle Cornelius (Chucky) as activist Tressie Loxley, Robyn’s mother
Robyn Hood follows Robyn Loxley, a young woman whose masked hip-hop band, The Hood, is known for their inventive videos and anti-authoritarian message. She lives in Sherwood Towers, a community of rental high-rises in a working-class corner of New Nottingham, where the cost of living has skyrocketed, leaving an ever-widening gap between the rich and everyone else.
When Robyn finds herself fighting for her home and her family against local property developer John Prince and The Sheriff of New Nottingham, Robyn and her band The Hood decide to fight back, righting the wrongs of the corrupt elite to give back to the people.
Robyn Hood is produced by Boat Rocker in association with Corus Entertainment. The series is executive produced by Julien Christian Lutz pka Director X (Superfly, Mister Tachyon) for Creative Rain, Chris Roberts (Orphan Black, Frontier), Kerry Appleyard (Orphan Black, X-Company) for Boat Rocker, Jill Green (Alex Rider, Magpie Murders) for Eleventh Hour Films, and Luti Fagbenle (Maxxx) for Luti Media, with Boat Rocker handling global distribution. For Corus, Kathleen Meek is Production Executive; Rachel Nelson is Vice President, Original Content, Scripted, Factual and Kids; Lisa Godfrey is Senior Vice President of Original Content and Corus Studios.