From the Canadian Television Fund – a newsletter with feature articles on Moose TV, Sanctuary, Cat City documentary:
From a media release:
APTN Launches New Fall Season
New entertainment programming for the fall season will include the much anticipated launch of Moose TV, starring Adam Beach, in a series that profiles what happens in a small town when a television studio is brought back to life. APTN’s best-loved comedies return with new seasons this fall, including Mixed Blessings and the animated comedy with attitude, By the Rapids, which takes a satirical look at an urban teenager trying to integrate into a small Aboriginal community. Kids will enjoy great new commercial-free programming this fall on APTN with new seasons of Inuk, Tiga Talk, Bizou, and the Gemini-award-winning Wapos Bay.
From a media release:
Away from Her, Saving Luna, Designer Guys, Durham County, and others pick up top awards
Canada’s Oscar darling is also an “Indie” darling. Away from Her picked up an Indie Award for Best Feature Film at the first annual Indie Awards from the Canadian Film and Television Producers, Association.
The first annual celebration of Canadian independent producers in film, television, and new media recognized outstanding Canadian producer achievement in ten categories of the film, television and new media industry.
In a special ceremony in Ottawa in front of more than 600 industry
leaders and guests, the following winners were announced:
- Best Children’s and Youth Programme or Series, Generation XXL, by 2151 Film & Television
- Best Comedy Programme or Series, Moose TV, Rezolution Pictures
- Best Convergent New Media, www.oddjobjack.com, by Smiley Guy Studios
- Best Documentary Programme or Series, Saving Luna, by Mountainside Films Ltd.
- Best Feature Film, Away From Her, Pulling Focus Pictures/Foundry Film
- Best Lifestyle or Reality Programme or Series, Designer Guys, WestWind Pictures Ltd.
- Best Mini-Series, October 1970, Barna-Alper Productions Inc.
- Best Prime Time Drama Series, Durham County, Back Alley Film Productions Ltd.
- Best TV Movie, In God’s Country, Shaftesbury Films Inc.
- Jury’s Choice Award, Radiant City, Burns Film Ltd.
From Brendan Kelly of Variety:
- ‘Away’ wins Canadian Indie award: ‘Moose TV’ surprises in TV comedy category
“Much more surprising was the win for little indie sitcom “Moose TV” in the comedy series category, besting ratings leaders “Corner Gas” and “Little Mosque on the Prairie.” “Moose TV,” which stars Adam Beach as a native Canadian who returns to his hometown and starts up a pirate TV station, is produced by Montreal production house Rezolution Pictures and aired on the pay TV channel Showcase.” Read more.
From a media release (so please don’t ask me what makes these Canadian TV shows independent):
Association announces CFTPA Indie Awards nominees
The Canadian Film and Television Production Association (CFTPA) is extremely pleased to announce the nominees of the CFTPA Indie Awards.
The awards were created by the CFTPA in order to recognize and honour the outstanding achievements of Canadian independent producers. The Awards will be presented at a special reception and ceremony in Ottawa on February 20th, 2008.
“There is an incredible number of talented independent producers across Canada, and this is a reality that is not celebrated nearly as often as it ought to be,” said Guy Mayson, President and CEO, CFTPA “On behalf of the members of the CFTPA and the Board of Directors, we are proud to showcase such excellence and we congratulate all the nominees.”