Kudos to Christopher and David for having their hearts in the right place when they tried to give some people easier Elimination Challenge ingredients in order to carry them further into the competition. But as we’ve seen countless times on MasterChef Canada, currying favour to anyone usually results in disaster.
That was certainly the case with “No Piece of Cake” on Sunday, when Jon and Tammy found themselves in the bottom three next Kristen, who was sent home. Meanwhile, moves like giving Andrew and Michael difficult ingredients to cook with backfired, with both scoring the top plates of the night. Those two will head up the team challenges next week.
The episode had started so promisingly. The Top 11 were tasked with making a birthday cake that showed a side of themselves in it. Pastry expert Christopher was beaming the entire time, creating a four-later opera cake that was head and shoulders above everyone else, who could only hope for second place. That went to David; he bounced back from a bad week to nail his peanut butter and chocolate birthday cake. In fact, all of the cakes looked so delicious that Michael, Alvin and Claudio chose to taste four slices instead of three. (I’m thinking they did that because they love cake.)
David and Christopher headed into the pantry with control and safety for the week and plotted to put tough oddball pairings with chefs they wanted out and easier choices with less-talented cooks. Though their thinking was sound, Jon ran out of time and missed putting licorice sauce on his salmon and Tammy’s bacon and chocolate tarts were undercooked. Only Kristen out-did them with chicken and chorizo tacos that failed to showcase any grape jelly in her fruit salsa.
The MasterChef Canada Top 10 are:
Notes and quotes
- Michael was wearing blue suede shoes when he met his girlfriend. Just throwing that out there.
- I might be wrong, but this group of home cooks seems to be sharing ingredients pretty willingly with each other.
- “Nothing is bluer than my hair.” Chef Alvin is right, Michael’s cake just didn’t stand up to the Dragon Chef’s ‘do.
- I keep forgetting that I need to put a base layer of icing on my cake before the final coating.
- The fact that Line and Jennifer’s Elimination Challenge plates weren’t even shown proved they were safe for another week.
MasterChef Canada airs Sundays at 7 p.m. ET on CTV.
Latest posts by Greg David (see all)
- Introducing the 2018 CFC Bell Media Prime Time TV writers - September 20, 2018
- Preview: The Nature of Things opens its new season with “Equus — Story of the Horse” - September 20, 2018
- Preview: Murdoch Mysteries takes a Wright turn into Season 12 - September 20, 2018