Having a specialized skill can really help during the marathon that is The Amazing Race Canada. That was certainly the case for Nic and Sabrina and Dujean and Leilani, who might have found themselves at the back of the pack if not for knowledge they brought into the Race.
Dujean and Leilani seemed destined for a total meltdown during the show’s second Leg in Santiago, Chile, when the exes resorted to screaming at each other while attempting to locate five specific outdoor paintings and take selfies in front of them. I admit I’d have lost my cool if someone kept yelling, “Come on, come on, come on,” at me like Dujean did, but deciding to just stop running in protest à la Leilani? Not cool. The pair were lucky the Motion part of Wednesday’s Detour involved dancing, something they both grew up doing. The result? A fifth place finish.
Nic and Sabrina’s prior skill set came into play as well. Their knowledge of language—something host Jon Montgomery told me about last week—came into play with everyone they met in Santiago, from cab drivers to the Emotion part of the Detour: reciting a poem by Gabriela Mistral. As Nic said in the cab on the way to the Pit Stop, they banged out that challenge in half an hour. The duo were also cagey during the art-inspired Detour: instead of running around the neighbourhood they used their cab. I wasn’t sure if that was allowed and half expected Montgomery to assess them a time penalty, but it was all good and they finished in fourth place.
The other high point of the second Leg was the revelation the Express Passes were coming into play. Hamilton and Michaelia were the first to complete the Road Block at the community centre and chased down the Express Passes at Patio Bellavista. The engaged couple quickly used their pass at the Motion Detour when Hamilton admitted the dance costumes were too skimpy for his transgender body. At first I was frustrated they’d used the Express Pass so quickly to advance to the Pit Stop at Cerro San Cristobal, but as Michaelia pointed out, other teams would play nice with them to score that second pass. And at least they used the pass, something other duos have failed to do and been eliminated.
Speaking of eliminated teams, Susan and Sharnjit fought to improve on their weak standing last week, but a bad cab driver and getting lost finding the artwork spelled doom … unless it was a non-elimination Leg.
Alas, it was not.
Here’s how the teams finished:
- Hamilton and Michaelia (used Express Pass)
- Brian and Cynthia
- Nick and Matt
- Nic and Sabrina
- Dujean and Leilani
- Neil and Kristin
- Dana and Amanda
- Brent and Sean
- Simi and Ope
- Gino and Jesse
- Susan and Sharnjit (eliminated)
Notes and quotes
- Hey TARC producers, how do you decide what time teams will leave on the next leg?
- “I already feel like I smell like B.O.” — quote of the night from Sean
- I understand that sponsors need to be given props, but having someone say they’re paying for their flight with their “BMO Cash Back World Elite MasterCard” is still a little over the top.
- I love it when the local taxi drivers get into the vibe of the Race and want to see their fares do well.
The Amazing Race airs Wednesdays at 9 p.m. ET on CTV.
Latest posts by Greg David (see all)
- Link: ‘Everything has been escalated’ for Season 3 of Alberta-shot Wynonna Earp - January 18, 2018
- Link: How Actress Sadie O’Neil Is Transforming Trans Life on TV - January 18, 2018
- Preview: Frankie Drake Mysteries dips into Frankie’s past - January 18, 2018